Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive not recognized and hard drive test result show "Repla

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then I suspect a loose connection under the touchpad as the cause of the problem.

Advertisements

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
OK then, i will take it apart and check.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Check the touchpad cable and it is firmly attached. However, I pull it out and put it back again which make some improvement (before the volume adjustment lcd light was not light up, but now all the LCD lightS light up).

Now I have a BLACK SCREEN problem. When I hit start, all lights light up, fan spins, DVD player spins, but don't feel the HD is spinning nor working. I took it apart and check on the CPU AND GPU but can't tell anything is worng.

As some suggested, try to reset by removing battery and power cord and press power button 30 to 60 seconds. Also try hitting DEL key constantly while pressing CTL + ALT. No luck...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK with no screen it definitely sounds like something is loose. I;m going to ask another tech to take a look at this also because it is not sounding like connections are not being made to me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Do you not even get a BIOS screen when you first apply power.

Before you go to the trouble of checking out the MB to screen display cable check that the notebook has not been set to external screen mode - this may be done by pressing the Fn and one of the function keys on the top of the keypad or it may be a single function button with an image of a screen on it.
If no joy after checking the above hook the notebook up to an external screen and see if you then get a display, again you may need to use the keys mentioned to toggle between screens.

Let us know the results please.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
No BIOS screen, just dead balck screen.
I try the instruction, first without connecting to external screen and then connect to exteral screen. No luck..
I suspect if the keyboard is even responding? the CAP lock indicator light which is on the left boarder of the keyboard does not light up when press on it. Same as the NUM lock indicator light.
I also check the keyboard cable which is not loose at all.

Edited by horseshoe, 02 June 2012 - 02:42 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is starting to sound like another motherboard problem. :angry:

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
If so, I will return it for exchange.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have checked all the connectors and made sure they are connected securely and in the right place. You have tried the instructions by Phill and still no positive results. Any way you can contact where you bought it and ask them for a little guidance?

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Yes, I check and everything is connected securely and in the right place. Now the laptop doesn't even respond when I hit the power button. No ligh, no fan spin.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Have you checked that your power supply is good, try the following please, remove the battery, AC adapter cable and Ram then hold down the power button for 30 seconds then replace the battery and a stick of Ram and see if it will power up, if not remove the battery, connect the AC adapter and again see if it will power up, let us know the results.
As Ron has said this is looking like an issue with the replacement board so as suggested contacting the supplier for some guidance is a good idea as you are at least making them aware of the issue sooner rather than later.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is rare but even a brand new part can be faulty right out of the package. Normally replacement is not a problem as you can tell them it was DOA Dead On Arrival.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Test as instructed, still no luck. The indicator light at power adptor port light up when the power cord is plugged in.

Eemail the issue to the supplier and waiting for answer. will let you know if they provide any solution.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I think the clue to the porblem lies here in one of your previous posts

Two other thisngs that I noticed and don't know if something's wrong?
(1) a few minutes (less than 5) after the power is up,the base of the laptop get verry hot right under where the power button located.
(2) when I turtn off the laptop, i can hear a 'pop' sound then the power shut off. This never happen before.

Although indeed as the motherboard is shown as refurbished, it could be faulty, it clearly was NOT completely Dead On arrival, as it did boot and load Windows.

I suspect, either the problem never was the motherboard, although indication was that this was the cause, but in fact it was a CPU or power issue.

Now the indication, given by you in the quote above, certainly appears to indicate a problem with cooling

1. Have you connected the cooling fan to the motherboard header

2. When you checked again that all was apparently correct, before it would not even boot to BIOS, is there any chance you disconnected the CPU power, on the image which is not good quality it appears to be to the left and below the CPU mounting plate.

3. The CMOS battery appears to have a plastic or polythene sheet to prevent it discharging whilst in storage, it may NOT be as noticeable as on the image, sometimes it is merely a plastic film on the base of the battery - are you certain you removed it.

4. In view of the apparent extreme heat underneath the power button, check you have no trapped wires.

I DO APPRECIATE that you have said that all connections have been checked but with respect this

Check the touchpad cable and it is firmly attached. However, I pull it out and put it back again which make some improvement (before the volume adjustment lcd light was not light up, but now all the LCD lightS light up).

tends to suggest that you may be well advised to check again.

If since it was apparently working, although not perfectly after the motherboard replacement and now it will not boot at all, improperly seated CPU, RAM, or a fan connection, power connection - not properly made, MAY be a course of checks to take

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I just take it apart and now I a tiny tectangle shape black pice with silver pin on the longer sides fall out. the size is smaller than a sesame seed. Could this be the problem?
All three cables around the fan and the CPU are connected firmaly. I also check the cables and they are in good shape, no damage, no loose end wire etc.
There is nothins wrap around CMOS battery.