Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using 802.1x security

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I need a guide through the confusion of WEP security and 802.1x security. I may have two questions rolled into one. I am currently using a WEP connection on my desktop. I have read that WEP severely slows down wireless access. Mine is at 54mbps. My adapter states it can go to 300mbps. My new laptop smokes the desktop on internet speed. The laptop uses WAP2. If I go to 802.1x security on the desktop and adapter, will my connection speed speed up? Both the desktop and laptop state they are connecting at 54mbps yet the desktop is crawling. I am trying tp speed things up.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All wireless encryption slows the connection to an extent, but WEP security is as weak as it gets. If the laptop is using WPA2 and your desktop can only connect at WEP, that suggests it's an older model which you'll only get a faster internal speed by replacing it.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Thank you, Neil.

Out of curiuosity, I changed the desktop to WPA, connecting at 11G. My wireless adapter and router both have WEP, WPA, WPA2, and 802.1x security as choices. No effect. Thought I would try something since desktop takes soooo long to connect. Both the laptop and desktop say they are recieving at 54 Mbps. Any ideas on how to speed the desktop up?

joe

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Log into the router and change the wireless settings from there. Should be able to boost it from there.
Without knowing anything else about your router, can't advise any further than that.

Edited by Neil Jones, 01 January 2012 - 04:54 PM.