Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 updates - failing to install

• Please log in to reply

G_Beee

G_Beee

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello,

Two important updates pushed to my PC Aug'11 by MS Windows updater and are continually failing to install.
I've tried and failed to resolve the problem periodically since it first showed up and now it's starting to bug me.

Laptop needs a "forced shutdown" on the few occasions when I power off because updates always appear to be blocking a clean shutdown.

Detail:
Updates failing to install are: KB2539635 & KB2560656
Error message code is: 800B0100

Windows 7 Home Premium
64-bit O/S
Service Pack 1

Dell Inspiron 1750

I've followed the various "help" options on the MS FAQ's but have been unable to resolve.

Thanks for any input.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried this: http://support.micro...windows_update/ ?

G_Beee

G_Beee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Digerati,

Thanks for the feedback. I've run the fixit tool but unfortunately it hasn't worked and I'm still unable to install the updates as mentioned in my initial post.

The specific error code does have a thread on the MS help section (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956702) but after trying the System update readiness tool I'm still unsuccesful with the update.

I've also tried to "Repair .NET Framework 4 Client Profile to its original state" by following the steps in method 2 of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

Not sure what else to do so hopefully you can help with some other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, here's another something to try: http://support.micro...kb/971058/en-us

G_Beee

G_Beee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
No, this didn't work. It appears to be one of the same fixit options that we've tried already.
I looked at the manual option but had problems with the first lines on the cmd screen and didn't have the confidence to try anything further on my own.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I was going to suggest checking out this but it looks like you ran the tools suggested.

I am running out of ideas.

Start Windows Update then click on Installed Updates at the bottom of the left panel. Scroll down and see if those two updates are listed. If they are, click to highlight, then click Uninstall and follow the prompts. Reboot and run Windows Update again and see what happens.

G_Beee

G_Beee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks again for your help.
I've checked the installed updates and neither are visible or available for uninstall. Not sure what else to try now myself. :/

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I don't know what else to try either. You might try going back to that .NET Framework link above and follow the instructions for previous versions of .NET Framework. I note KB2539635 deals with .NET Framwork 3.5.1. Fixing that may allow you to complete the second. If not, and if you don't use Excel in the manner described by KB2560656, then you might (for now) just hide that update so hopefully it will not yell at you. This is not an ideal solution by any means. Keeping Windows updated is necessary to maintain good security so bypassing any updates should never be considered lightly, or done when other options remain retried. But since neither are "critical" updates, if me (since I don't use Excel in the manner described), I would probably hide it, then every so often (once a month or so) unhide it, manual tell Windows Update to check for updates again, then see what happens.

G_Beee

G_Beee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks again. Unfortunately everything I've tried hasn't resolved the issue.
I've now disabled the auto-update to stop the files being pushed to me which at least has stopped the issues with shutting down the PC. Just means I have to manually check for updates rather than rely on them being pushed which then allows me to skip the corrupt files.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I've now disabled the auto-update to stop the files being pushed to me which at least has stopped the issues with shutting down the PC. Just means I have to manually check for updates rather than rely on them being pushed which then allows me to skip the corrupt files.

I don't think that is a good idea. It would be better if you just tell Windows Update to ignore/hide those two particular updates.

G_Beee

G_Beee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Understood, however I'm not able to hide/ignore the updates as there's no option for me to do so on the Windows update screen. Appreciate if you could perhaps talk me through where I can find this as it's nowhere obvious that I can see. I have a restore hidden updates option (of which I have none), but not an option to hide/ignore new ones.

Thanks in advance for any further help.