Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Resolution Resets?

• Please log in to reply

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi,
I am working on a laptop with a broken screen so up until now I have had to press F5 every time to enable vga mode for the external monitor to kick in.
Then I go to the display settings to knock it up from 800x600 to 1024x768 as this is how it always opens at.

Today I have managed to get the machine to boot straight to vga by adding 'basevideo' to the bootini cmd line file, this has done the job and now the machine boots straight to the external monitor. :thumbsup:

The only thing now is that I still have the inconvenience of resetting the res which forever resorts back to 800x600 on every reboot, why does it do this and is there anyway I can make it hold the 1024x768 setting.
Any and all advice welcome.
Thanks in advance .... Tom
Toshiba Satellite running XP Home

Edited by Tommy Timebomb, 01 January 2012 - 10:17 AM.

Advertisements

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hello, this is because VGA can only support 800x600 Pixels when starting, you could try using HDMI, that supports higher resolution.

Hope This Helps.

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks Faizan,
I spent most of New Years day trying all sorts of settings and downloads.
I will look into the hdmi issue.
Thanks for the info and Happy New year to you. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Tom.

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Would an S video lead resolve the problem as the laptop only has this and the vga??

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Digitally-sourced S-Video is inherently limited to 720 x 480 (interlaced). Your display could scale that up to 1024 x 768.

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
This hopefully is a cheap and cheerfull way to resolve this, I will give it a go.

The wealth of information that this site gives via it's members is second to none!
Thanks once again Faizan.