Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem connecting to Router(s)

• Please log in to reply

Christian099

Christian099

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey guys!

Got a little bit of a problem on my hand which I have been trying to solve for many hours with little or no success.

The problem at hand is that I can connect to my house router with "limited access" which does not allow me to access the internet, etc. Wh

While I try to diagnose the situation it is telling me "The network adapter "Wireless Network Connection" is not correctly configured to use IP protocol". Then its giving me three options
- Checking my router's security key (I know it is correct)
- The network adapter "Atheros AR9281 Wireless Network Adapter" is experiencing drivers or hardware related issues.
- Make sure your Internet Protocol Bindings are correct (It opens a window which prompts me to "select" the boxes to allow "Internet Protocol Version 4 and Internet Protocol Version 6, where both are selected..)

This issue arose after I did a factory reset on my Toshiba satellite laptop. No other issues other than this are present at this time.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

Advertisements

Christian099

Christian099

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry for the double post, but I would appreciate some help ASAP.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Christian099
Download and save the driver for your network card, uninstall the present driver then reboot the laptop, install the latest driver that you saved which is available @ http://aps2.toshiba-...?page=downloads

A cautionary note, you must completely uninstall the old drivers before installing the new version or you will get serious issues/conflicts.

Christian099

Christian099

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey phill, I appreciate the reply.

Tried the suggestion early today just without rebooting with no success tried again but no luck. same issue as before.

The only difference is what I did and what you said is that the driver i downloaded is directly from the toshiba website, went through there preferences to find the exact fit for my modeled satellite laptop. Within the driver files I have downloaded there are many set up functions within it. In the readme note it says to download setup.exe and it's done. As far as I am aware I am downloading that one but there is no clear indication to me if its it or not.

But yeah, no luck with that. Still won't fully connect to the internet.

Christian

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Not sure of your OS so you may need to either google this or visit MS;
1: Reset TCP/IP http://support.micro...99357#appliesto if no joy
2: Reset Winsock http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

Christian099

Christian099

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
after trying both steps, success was not present.

Did nothing to help the situation. Although with restarting both times a window poped up noting that "Windows needs to install driver software from your Unknown Device"
Giving me three options
- Locate and install driver software (Which gets me nowhere)
- Ask me again later
- Dont show this message again

ALTHOUGH this message could be from my usb drive I am using to move over the fixit files?

Anymore suggestions? I'm completely embezzled.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Please re-check the Device Manager for a yellow ! or red X.
What OS are you using, have you tried actually uninstalling and reinstalling the device itself (not the drivers) and what AV and Firewall do you have?

Christian099

Christian099

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
My OS is Windows Visa, The whole situation began when I factory reset the laptop and for AV/firewall. Just what ever comes with it when you factory reset, therefore like a free trial of Norton aswell as the regular ole Windows defender.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Please re-check the Device Manager for a yellow ! or red X.

Did you check this?
If you do have Norton try another AV, while Norton is very good it is also a hog on system resources, Avast and MSE are both very good, light on resources and free http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/ AV software is also known to sometimes cause issues with internet connections.
If you do uninstall Norton you must use the correct uninstaller to avoid issues that left over files can cause;
https://www-secure.s...n=1&pvid=f-home

Christian099

Christian099

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry! Nope there are no red/yellow !/X's. Also I complete uninstalled norton from my computer and restarted with no luck.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
What about;

have you tried actually uninstalling and reinstalling the device itself (not the drivers)

Right click on the Network adapter in Device Manager, choose uninstall, reboot and reinstall the device.
Other than this I am at a loss and can only suspect the device has failed.

Christian099

Christian099

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
just did so restarting after the deletion as well as re installation. No luck, I appreciate your time to help me but well I guess my situation is a dire one!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If I can think of any other options I will post back, just one final thought though;

Checking my router's security key (I know it is correct)

Do you not also have to insert a network security key?

Christian099

Christian099

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah my network key is correct. I even went into the router settings and changed in for the whole router and tried no one with no success.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Which model of Satellite is it please.