Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Video Card Question?

• Please log in to reply

deivid725

deivid725

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Soo im about to buy a Video Card with hdmi so that i can connect my tv to my pc. Well my question is does it matter if my motherboard uses ddr2 memory, and the video card that im buying is ddr3 will there be any conflict? Or it doesnt matter what memory type the video card uses?

Also how do i know the video card will fit into the PCI slot? My motherboard is a Biostar N68S. :help:

Advertisements

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hello there,

Yes, the video card will fit into the PCI Slot, Your motherboard has 1 x PCI Slot and 1 x PCI-E x16 Slot.

The current graphics card interface is pci-e x16 so you should be able to fit any pci-e graphics card into your machine given sufficient power supply, so whether the card itself has DDR5 chips on it or whatever doesnt matter.

Also, what graphics card do you want to use?

Hope This Helps

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
[quotename='deivid725']does it matter if my motherboard uses ddr2 memory, and the video card that im buying is ddr3[/quote][quotename='Faizan Ern Prince']The current graphics card interface is pci-e x16 so you should be able to fit any pci-e graphics card into your machine given sufficient power supply, so whether the card itself has DDR5 chips on it or whatever doesnt matter.[/quote]
Ummm, that seems to imply there is a relationship between the card's RAM and PCIe slots. There isn't. To clarify, the fact you have PCIe slots or are using a PCIe card has nothing to do with the type of RAM used on the motherboard, or on the card. The RAM on the motherboard is used exclusively by the CPU, and the RAM on the graphics card is used exclusively by the GPU (graphics processor unit). As long as your PSU can support the card, and the card interfaces with the motherboard (and they do via PCIe) then you are good to go and don't need to worry about the RAM type.

[quotename='deivid725']Also how do i know the video card will fit into the PCI slot?[/quote]Do NOT confuse PCI with PCIe (PCI Express). Despite their similar names, they are totally different and incompatible (physically and electrically) interfaces. Your motherboard has one PCIe x16 slot and one PCI Slot. For best performance and more options to choose from, select a PCIe card to install in your PCIe slot. Note for simple computing tasks (watching videos/DVDs/BluRays, surfing the net and doing email or Office tasks) you don't need an expensive or powerful card. If you select an entry level card, such as this card and you probably will not need to worry about getting a bigger PSU (though you still need to verify that).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: deivid725
To add to what has already been advised, there are other factors you need to consider before you purchase, see below

Soo im about to buy a Video Card with hdmi so that i can connect my tv to my pc.

Please note a screen larger than 32" will require a video card that has 2GB of memory for gaming etc.
What size case do you have full tower, mid tower or SFF (small form factor) I ask this as your MB is a micro ATX;
From your MB specs DIMENSION •Micro ATX Form Factor Dimension: 24.4cm X 19cm ( W x L )
Full specs http://206.108.48.60...?S_ID=497&tab=1
If your case is the SFF type it will mean you need a low profile card as the full size cards are too big and finally you must have a PSU (power supply unit) that can support the card, this must also be considered with a SFF case as these PSUs are often smaller and less powerful.
Provide us with some further details on your PC and proposed GPU.

deivid725

deivid725

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The video card that i want to get is an HIS H545HO512 ATi Radeon HD 5450 i chose this one because im on a budget and it seems like one of the best for my budget and it has hdmi.

One question occured to me what if the video card is PCIe 2.1 x16 and my motherboard is only PCIe 2.0 x16 will it still work?

My tv is a Vizio 32inch with 2 hdmi ports. If i buy the video card will it work with this tv i just mentioned?

Some comp. specs. are its 2gb for now but i just bought another 2gb of ram. It has a 400w power supply. :happy:

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hi there, your Video Card is suitable for your PC, It will work with the TV you mentioned. Also, PCIe 2.1 x16 is compatible to use on your motherboard. So, you can insert the card and hopefully have no issues with that.

Your power supply also supports the Video Card so you should have no issues with that.

Hope This Helps.

deivid725

deivid725

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank You Guys!!! Hope no problems occur :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If this is your card http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814161367 it will be ok for watching the TV/films but very limited for gaming, your PSU is the minimum required even if it is a good quality one so swap in a better output if you can, 450 to 500W.

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
For a normal home PC which only runs games occasionally, a 300W-400W PSU should be fine. For a medium to high-end PC which runs games frequently, I'd recommend 450W-550W. For an ultra high-end gaming PC, 600W+.

deivid725

deivid725

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Naw im not a hardcore gamer just use my comp. for everyday purposes and some online once in a while. Thank You once again :happy:

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

your PSU is the minimum required even if it is a good quality one so swap in a better output if you can, 450 to 500W.

I agree with Phill. As he noted, according to that Newegg link to that card, the minimum recommended is 400w. I disagree with the suggestion less than that is okay with games, even for a short time. Power delivery requirements are not determined over an average. They they are instantaneous demands that require instantaneous delivery. When the CPU, for example, goes to 100% it wants full power NOW! And that applies whether it happens all the time, occasionally, or just once.

While games are certainly very demanding on all system resources, they are not the only demanding tasks we ask of our systems. You must assume there will be occasions when your motherboard, CPU, graphics solution, RAM, drives, fans and other devices, all max out at the same time. And to prevent the PSU from being stressed (a primary cause of dirty, unstable power) and causing a system halt/hard crash, you need a PSU with enough head room to shrug off those maximum, regardless how infrequent, demands.

Now if you say that 400W PSU is a relatively new, 80 Plus certified Corsair, Antec or some other PSU from the "Reputable" column of PC Mech's PSU Reference List, then I would say your 400W will do. But if it is listed in the other columns, or not listed at all, or several years old (all PSUs weaken over time) then I would recommend getting a new and more powerful 80 Plus certified PSU from a reputable maker.