Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TCP/IP Query Failed

• Please log in to reply

AdamC6

AdamC6

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Greetings all.

I've read several old threads relating to TCP/IP query failed messages. None solved my problem.

I "caught" the XP Security 2012 malware/virus and in removing it, I appear to have messed up the registry on my old Gateway laptop -- specifically something to do with the local area connection (Intel Pro/1000 MT). All other functions, hardware and software are operating correctly (I believe). Only the internet connection has been impacted. The wifi on this computer hasn't worked for years, so I have to repair the local connection.

I have uninstalled the card and reinstalled. I have tried netsh commands to reset. I've tried the winsock fix. I've tried IP config commands.

I'm at my wits end. I figure it is time to reformat -- but thought I'd ask and see if anyone has come up with a new approach.

I have tried every trick on this thread:
http://www.geekstogo...the-connection/

XP Sp3 by the way.

None of those helped.

I'm pretty competent fixing most problems, but this one has me totally stumped.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

AC

Edited by AdamC6, 03 January 2012 - 08:16 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo.

Did you follow the porcedure here - from our Malware removal Guides
http://www.geekstogo...and-its-clones/

IF YOU DID then we will proceed here on this forum with attempting to solve the connection problem.

IF YOU DID NOT and attempted some other possible remedy, which appears to be the case, as you suggest you have used regedit or some other editing of the registry then I will refer you to our Malware forum.
On GeesktoGo only certified advisors, trained in Malware detetction and removal can deal with the issue from that aspect.

Please reply indicating the situation and I will provide you with further advice

AdamC6

AdamC6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did not use your Malware removal method. I used a malware removal program and it likely is the cause of my registry foul up.

I did not personally edit the registry.

The malware is off (according to Malwarebytes software) -- but I cannot overcome whatever 'damage' was done to TCP/IP

The connection exists, but no data is flowing.

Thanks for whatever help you provide.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I did not use your Malware removal method. I used a malware removal program and it likely is the cause of my registry foul up.

In view of that would you kindly go to the link below

http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

and follow the instructions to create a new topic in the malware forum.
Would you please provide a link on that post to this thread.

Please explain in your Malware thread that you have no connection and the expert who answers your post will provide you with the necessary instructions.
Please be patient as they are very busy.
If once you have a clean bill of health, the issue is not resolved, the expert may well ask you to come back here and we will proceed.
What ever method you used, does not necessarily mean that you are now clear of the infection remnants, nor indeed that now you have attempted removal Malwarebytes would still find the traces.

Good Luck with it.

AdamC6

AdamC6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Link as requested. Thank you for your assistance.

http://www.geekstogo...p-query-failed/

Edited by AdamC6, 03 January 2012 - 11:46 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks
It was actually a link in the Malware post to this thread.
However the reason for posting NOW is:

The link you have provided in MALWARE is dead.
Please edit the post and re=paste the link
I would do it for you, but my authorisations do not allow me to edit posts in the Malware forum

Please do not create another post as that will indicate to Malware experts searching for 0 replies that yours has been replied to.