Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I cannot download anything

• Please log in to reply

bsf5039

bsf5039

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Symantec Endpoint protection and the windows firewall

Also there is another username under documents and settings besides my brother and All users would that cause the problem. It has my brother name with pc at the end of it

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I would suggest that the cause is, more than likely, the Symantec Endpoint Protection.

See this and explore please the connected documents

http://www.symantec....d=1325871346644

When the warning appears on clicking on the download message on the IE screen - ie Allow Download and then you get the warning - does that indicate the source etc.

TRY IT on a TRUSTED download, such as that Auslogics - disabling the Endpoint protection.

bsf5039

bsf5039

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well I disable Symantec Endpoint Protection and I try to download the program that you suggested I try to download it and I am still receiving that same security alert message when I downloading the file.

I allow it to download and the download screen comes up with that security alert window in front of it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a suggestion Macboatmaster but you might try doing a system restore back to a week before the issue started.
Also try SFC to make sure system files are not corrupted.
After reading the whole topic you may be dealing with a infection.
BSF is there downloading from torrent sites happening on the computer and\or where are the rar files you mentioned being downloaded from?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. What was the security level set at please in IE

Go to IE open tools, click on Internet Options, click Security tab, on the four zones show click to highlight INTERNET - it will default to that when you open that window.
Now look at the lower half of the window what is the security level. If the default level button is available click that please and then click apply and ok as required.

2. Is the account you are signed in with a user account with ADMIN rights please. If there is another account with Admin rights see if the situation is the same there please.

3. Try please in clean boot and see if the situation is the same

http://support.micro....com/kb/310353/

Please us the manual procedure, please ensure you go ONLY to and including step 3.
This is VITAL as if you proceed to step 4 you will delete your restore points.

If the problem is solved by a clean boot, please LEAVE it in clean boot and post.

If the problem is NOT solved by the clean boot please return it to Normal startup as per the Microsoft article and continue as below

4. If the situation is still not SOLVED
Please do this
Go My Computer and right click the hard drive on which windows is installed, normally the C Drive.
Click Properties
Click the Tools tab
Click the Error Checking button

Click Check Now and then click to put a check mark in both boxes - automatically fix file system errors and the second box scan for an attempt recovey of bad sectors.
Then click Start and agree the message to run on restart and do so.
IT is a five stage check please do NOT interrupt it. On completion of the chkdsk the computer will reboot.

NOW go start, Run and type
sfc /scannow
Please
note the space between sfc and /scannow.
This is a system file check it will ensure that all system32 files are uncorrupted and in their correct place.
IT will not report a result, if it completes, but it may ask you for the XP CD.
If you have the CD insert it.
If you do not, see how it progresses and if necessary we MAY circumvent the need for the CD>

Then try again please with a download.

5. With reference to the post by my colleaguue rshaffer61 - are you willing to try a system restore point. How long as the problem been to hand. Please check that you have a restore point BEFORE the date of the problem.
That is start, programs, accessories, system tools, system restore. YOU DO NOT at this stage need to restore - BUT please check the dates available for restore.
Depending on the cause of the problem a system restore may NOT prove successful in a solution. but if you have a date available before the problem and are willing to try it is certainly worthwhile.
BE AWARE that any changes since the system restore date will be lost so ensure you have copies of any important work.

6. Finally please answer the query from my colleague -

bsf5039 is there downloading from torrent sites happening on the computer and\or where are the rar files you mentioned being downloaded from?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to all of my previous post I have just re-read the whole thread.

I apologise to you as I thought on this post HERE you were talking about another computer.
I NOW REALISE that you are referring to THIS computer - which is YOUR brother`s computer

I have started notice that while on my brother computer that his computer is very slow when it starts up like when it get to the desktop it takes awhile to load like that icons on the toolbar to show up and also the toolbar does freeze sometimes or goes black after I wake it up from the screen saver. What happen is the toolbar freezes and also cannot click on start but I can move things around on the desktop.

AFTER you have done all that is in my post 20. AND IF THE PROBLEM still exists.
Go back to my item 3 on the previous post anmd clean boot the computer again.
Do not concern yourself with the download situation this time, but is the startup and the loading of windows now more acceptable in speed and opening a few windows, is there any problem with clicking start etc.

bsf5039

bsf5039

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
No we do not download stuff from torrent files.
This rar file are game mods for games like skyrim and they work

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks, would you please proceed with the recommendations in my post and incorporating the suggestion by my colleague rshaffer61

bsf5039

bsf5039

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It been going on for more than a month I can try a system restore

1. the security level for IE medium-high
2. Yes this username is the computer administrative

bsf5039

bsf5039

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well I did a system restore and I can download exe files now and do not have the problem anymore

Thank you so much for the help you provided to resolve my brother's issue

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
On the evdience available it is either a program you have installed, or an update to the Endpoint protection that has altered the permissions in either your user profile or corrupted in some way the settings in the various files and registry entries involved.

NOT ALL but many registry cleaners and the like can have such effects.

IF you can connect this occurrence with such a program etc then, be careful you do not install the same or accept the update, without due exmaination otherwise you will be back to square one.

As a matter of interest did you try the clean boot or go straight to system restore. Did you try the chkdsk and scannow or go straight to restore.

Pleased it is sorted.

Good luck with it.

bsf5039

bsf5039

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Straight to restore

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well comparing with what you had installed and what you NOW have installed - may be your first approach

Good luck with it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 13 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

bsf5039

bsf5039

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sorry about that it completely fix the issue I was having with not be able to download files. All I did was did a system 2 months back and I did not really lose any important from doing this