Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

desktop pc wont start fan spin for half second then nothing

• Please log in to reply

frankfking

frankfking

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i building this desktop pc i followed all the instuctions on how to set it up and when i went to start the pc and the lights flash for a second and the fans spin for a half sec second then nothing. if i try it again it wont do anything unless i shut off the power completely. then wait for the power to leave the board then i put power back to it and the lights on the motherboard come on so i hit the power button but it just does the same thing. it makes no beeps just flashes light for a sec and fans spin for half second. please help me i just want my pc to work.

here are the specs: kn8 sli mb
amd athlon 64x2 processor
650 watt coolmax psu
512 mb of ram ddr 1
6600 512 mb geforce axle 3d card
80 gb western digitial sata hd
on board sound
dvd/cdr rom

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: frankfking
Have you made sure that you have connected the following securely, 1: The 24 pin main power connector. 2: The 4 pin 12V ATX power supply and 3: the 3 or 4 pin CPU fan supply.
Did you apply TIM (thermal interface material) correctly? See the tutorial provided courtesy of Digerati http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/ if this all checks out then see below:

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins.