Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptops suddenly slowed and crashes often out of nowhere (No virus'

• Please log in to reply

SamGascoyne

SamGascoyne

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello,

I've had my Presario CQ56 laptop (HP) for just under a year or so and its always been perfect apart from the odd virus in the past which has been gotten rid of. Recently though out of nowhere my laptop has begun too crash whilst on the internet, not crash as in stop working and have to re-open the program and start again but fully freeze and not unfreeze unless i switch the laptop on and off again and even sometimes in startup the laptop will freeze unless i try for a second time. It seems too primerilly freeze when i am watching something online or even youtube. The video will suddenly slow for a few seconds and the audio becomes crackly and distorted then it stops altoegther. Weirdly though i can still play games on my laptop and other things that use a lot of memory. I recently removed some huge pogrames taking up a lot of gb off the laptop thinking that may be it and ran a virus scan which came up with nothing! Can anybody explain what i can do too make this stop as its making my laptop useless!

Advertisements

SamGascoyne

SamGascoyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Anyone care too help me out? I've just started getting the script is running slowly error whilst leaving the internet on facebook which is new and odd. Also skype crashed just like it does when i'm using the internet and watching something on putlocker or youtube!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista\Win7. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

SamGascoyne

SamGascoyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista\Win7. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

In my errors list i have just one thing under Critical and that is 'Kernal-Power' which has happened 28 times over the last 7 days?
Under Error there is quite a few would you like me too list them cause theres more than 10 i'd say? Some that appear frequently are ...
Event ID: 6008 EventLog although i dont think this is the problem as it exsists before i had problems on the laptop

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
run chkdsk

http://www.vistax64....isk-chkdsk.html

SamGascoyne

SamGascoyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi guys, all of your suggestions didnt work i'm afraid and infact it's gotten worse although in it getting worse i may have discovered the problem, recently i have been receiving the cooling fan error (90B) and is it at all possible that this is what is calling my laptop too freeze and stop working?

jamesdoc

jamesdoc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Dude same problem here somebody plz solve it

Edited by rshaffer61, 16 January 2012 - 05:30 AM.
Removed email for privacy risks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: jamesdoc

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Please post more information as to your exact issue in your topic. Include any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.

jamesdoc

jamesdoc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks A Lot Dude

Edited by rshaffer61, 17 January 2012 - 05:55 AM.
Removed advertisement links