Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

crashed while restarting now wont turn back on

• Please log in to reply

Daniel Matthias

Daniel Matthias

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys
a few days ago I updated my rig with an ASUS motherboard bundle. I did a fresh install of windows and everything seemed fine. but as soon as I finished re-installing all my old software, it crashes while restarting and now wont boot up.
the green light is on the motherboard and all the fans and LED's start up, but i get nothing from the mouse, monitor or keyboard
I checked the CMOS battery, I put my 1 stick of RAM in another socket, took out all my PCI cards and still nothing. im worried it might be a faulty mobo because when no RAM is inserted at all i dont get any beeps.

if anyone can solve this one for me i would greatly appreciate it. if not, it's refund time.

Advertisements

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hello there,

Maybe your motherboard doesn't support the components.

Edited by Faizan Ern Prince, 06 January 2012 - 01:42 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you do a bench test of the components outside of the case first?
Also since you upgraded the motherboard did you make sure the standoffs under the motherboard matched up and there were no extra's touching the motherboard where there was no hole to match up to?
First thing I would suggest is taking everything apart and doing a bench test of components.

Please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 17 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Daniel Matthias

Daniel Matthias

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys. very sorry about the delay. I had completely forgotten about asking for your help.
the email notifying me of your replies was put in my junk folder.

The issue was a bad stick of RAM. I was unable to work it out because my case doesn't have a speaker for post bleep and the like.
My rig is now working fine.
thank you very much for all your input, even though I was unaware of it haha
once again sorry for the delay and thank you for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible