Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What would happen if....

• Please log in to reply

ding dong

ding dong

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
What would happen if I deleted this old Avira file from the registry? I dont use Avira anymore.

Advertisements

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
See image below.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Since we don't know what "this old Avira file" is, or where in the Registry it is located, I don't know what would happen. But since it is likely not doing anything (good or bad) I would just leave it.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
we do know where it is - right there where i am showing you. it is doing bad as it is playing up with my Windows mail system and making it open slowly

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

we do know where it is - right there where i am showing you.

Dude! You didn't have that screen shot in your first post - and if you check timestamps, you can see I was responding to your first post.

it is doing bad as it is playing up with my Windows mail system and making it open slowly

How do you know it is Avira causing these problems? Did you uninstall Avira before installing Avast?

I would still advise against simply deleting the entry in the Registry - that is rarely a good idea. Instead, I would run the Avira Removal Tool.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I tried Revo and it doesnt work on the leftover Avira files. it wants an installation package to work with but that has been uninstalled. it also wont work by re-installing avira either as i have tried that and it also wont work using anything Avira has to remove it.

these files are embedded like termites and i need a manual uninstall please.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi -
Visit http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ and search for Security uninstallers.
Once you find them find the suitable Avira uninstaller and follow the directions given.
If you have gone through the normal method of uninstalling the program, this program may help remove any leftovers.

Since it seems that you now have avast! as your antivirus, it should be OK to use the Avira uninstaller.
Worth a try if this is annoying you -

Thanks -
EDIT -
Infomation link
Uninstaller Tool

Edited by noknojon, 08 January 2012 - 05:35 AM.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Make sure it's disabled in 'services' ...

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Have done all that, using Avira uninstaller and it doesnt work.

I'm pretty much done with downloading yet another uninstaller - they all dont work.

Can I have instructions on a manual uninstall please?

it could be a security thing as it wont allow me to manually do it either and says i dont have permission.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Do you know how to backup the Registry and restore it if necessary?

Advertisements

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
not really but am mystified - if its an old avira file then why the need to backup?

help with the permission issue would be appreciated too.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

not really but am mystified - if its an old avira file then why the need to backup?

It does not appear to be an old Avira file, but if, as you noted in your opening post, it is an entry in the Registry, then it would be a Registry entry pointing to an old Avira file that no longer exists. And whenever you mess with the Registry, you should always back it up first.

And now that I look at your screen shot again I will ask, what made you say in your opening post that this is in the Registry? The screen shot looks to me like that Avira listing is just a folder on your disk. And if that is the case, then you can probably just delete it by right-clicking on it and selecting delete. However, to be cautious, you can simply right-click and select rename, then add to the end of the folder name, delete-1-9-2012 then leave it for a few days and see what happens. If all is good, then you can safely delete it.

If the screen shot really is of the Registry, then you need to backup the Registry, then you can delete the entry.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
its the registry - trust me.

i cant delete the entry as it keeps saying this;

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Assuming you have backed up your Registry with Regedit or with a tool like ERUNT, double click on it to drill down inside then delete those items that appear in the right side panel.

See also http://support.micro....com/kb/2021860

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Still wont let me - see snap.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG