Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer 5517 black screen

• Please log in to reply

Snear

Snear

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have an acer 5517 that is my sons girlfrien so I don't know if it is a 32 or 64. It's not that old year or so.It has windows 7 installed on it. I've already tried booting up the laptop with the windows 7 boot disk, I've tried safe mode and all other F keys, when I press any key on my laptop it just makes a beeping sound and nothing happens. I just can't get past the black screen with a flashing cursor computer just beeps. I've tried the original Windows 7 disc but nothing pops up, I hear my computer reading the disc, but nothing shows up on the screen. The only thing that shows up is a black screen with the blinking cursor to the top left corner of my computer. Almost like it is not reading the HD but when I remove it and restart it it comes up with HD not found. What next?

Thanks SNEAR..

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you get into BIOS Setup? Usually do this by pressing F1, F2 or Del when the system first starts to boot.

DO you ever see anything displayed on the screen? ACER logo, anything?

If not, try connecting an external monitor to the VGA port on the laptop, see if that works. If yes then the LCD display is defective and needs to be replaced.

Snear

Snear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK I have seen this posted before. You turn the power on and after the the computer start up screen that gives you the option to press F2 the screen goes black with a _ in the upper left side and the screen is black. you can't press any other (F) key, before or after. There is no loading anything. No pressing F8, F12, F5, F anything. There is no safe mode no changes in the setup, if you press f2 you can go to set up but nothing there helps. Can't load from CD, fob or LAN. I am thinking it is a hardware problem.

Thanks SNEAR

Snear

Snear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I forgot to say that I took out the HD. I rebooted and poped up on the screen Error no HD found. So I know the screen is working.
Thanks SNEAR

Edited by Snear, 07 January 2012 - 01:47 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you get to the System Recovery Options menu? See here: What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

Expand the section called To open the System Recovery Options menu using the Windows 7 installation disc or a USB flash drive, or a system repair disc

Snear

Snear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nope I can only see the black screen. No mater what I do.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What happens when you boot the Windows 7 install disc?

Try this:

How to run chkdsk from the Recovery Console
  • Boot your Windows 7 installation DVD
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
  • At the "Language" screen hold the "Shift" key and press the F10 key to open a Command Window
  • Type chkdsk /r and press Enter.
Let this run to completion undisturbed. It can take an hour or more depending on the size of your hard drive.

Once it finishes, reboot and see if that fixed the problem.

Snear

Snear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't have a 7 cd but when I try a xp cd I get a "Stop 0x0000007B" error after about 5 minute of loading.

Thanks SNEAR

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You said:

"I've already tried booting up the laptop with the windows 7 boot disk"
"I've tried the original Windows 7 disc"

Doesn't than mean you have Windows 7 installations discs or recovery discs?

Also, why are you now trying to boot a Windows XP disc? Are you trying to install XP, replacing Windows 7?

I'm sorry but I'm very confused.

Snear

Snear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes sorry That was posted with info from the computers owner. She brought it over to me and I have been working on it. There is no way to get the win 7 disk right now so I was using my xp disk to see if I could get it working.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can't use a Windows XP Recovery Console to repair a Windows 7 computer. You need the Win 7 disc. Once you have that you can run chkdsk as I mentioned and see if it resolves the problem. If not, run Startup Repair.