Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Belkin router, PC don't find modem or router

• Please log in to reply

Mariella Britto

Mariella Britto

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello everyone hope somebody could help me. I have wireless connection at home (modem and Belkin router)and laptop connected to it already. I have a second one who I am trying to joined the network but for some reason can not connect (I have entered the router's password, unplugged the cord and plugged again but still no connection, only shows "only local").

Thank you for any input,

Mariella

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Mariella Britto
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

Mariella Britto

Mariella Britto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you Pillpower2. Sorry forgot to add more info:

Both my machines are laptops:

The one connected already to the wireless network is: Samsung brand name laptop, Windows 7, model R780.

The one i am trying to connect without success is: Asus brand name laptop, Windows Vista, model PRO52H Series (I was actually using this laptop somewhere else on vacation without a problem but this problem came only at home).

Thank you,

Mariella

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi
Have you tried connecting in the Network and Sharing Center by right clicking on the internet icon bottom right of the taskbar?
See if this helps http://utdsl.com/Rou...lkin_router.htm

Mariella Britto

Mariella Britto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Posted Image

I have tried it but what I see is "unidentified network" I took a picture with snipping tool hopefully you could see it.
Thank you for your help.

Here is the result from cmd:

Posted Image

Edited by Mariella Britto, 07 January 2012 - 02:53 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
What happens if you right click on the internet globe?

Mariella Britto

Mariella Britto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nothing happens, I just tried now and it doesn't show up anything. Don't know what do to as it was working fine before (not at home), the only problem is at home.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The issue you are having is with your IP, do you have an installation disk with a network key and SSID code, who is your IP?
Please meanwhile flush the DNS cache "how to" below;

1 – Close all open web browsers and applications on your computer.

2 – Open the Windows command prompt by selecting the “Start” menu and entering “cmd” in the search text field box followed by clicking the “enter” key.

3 – At the command prompt, enter “ipconfig /flushdns” followed by pressing the “enter” key. After a moment, Windows will display a message similar to: “Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.” Once the message is displayed, the DNS will be flushed removing all incorrect entries.

4 – View the DNS resolver cache by entering, “ipconfig /displaydns” at the command prompt followed by clicking the “Enter” key.

Mariella Britto

Mariella Britto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This is what I got:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Thank you for keeping up with me,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi, from post #8

The issue you are having is with your IP, do you have an installation disk with a network key and SSID code, who is your IP?

Squallcolin

Squallcolin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Mariella,

I had the same problem yesterday. I managed to resolve the issue this afternoon. I'm using Belkin G Wireless Router.

Here's the workaround:

(Note: All your setting will be reset to factory setting, so I guess you will have to run the setup from the Belkin install disc to setup your internet again.)

1. Make sure your Router is powered on.
2. Use a pin to poke the reset hole and hold it for at least 10 seconds.
3. Release the pin. If successful you will see the router starts to reboot (like after you switch on the router)
4. Give the router some time to reboot. (approx 30 seconds to 1 minute.)
5. Try connecting to your router again (http://192.168.2.1) (your default gateway to your modem)

(Note: If your default gateway is not same as above, use the one you usually do to connect to your router). Use ipconfig from the command prompt to determine your default gateway.

6. Once you are able to get back to your router config page, you can perform your Internet connection setup by running the Belkin install disc provided with your router

Please let us know if you are still having issues. Hope this helps you somehow.

Cheers.

Squallcolin.

Mariella Britto

Mariella Britto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi Mariella,

I had the same problem yesterday. I managed to resolve the issue this afternoon. I'm using Belkin G Wireless Router.

Here's the workaround:

(Note: All your setting will be reset to factory setting, so I guess you will have to run the setup from the Belkin install disc to setup your internet again.)

1. Make sure your Router is powered on.
2. Use a pin to poke the reset hole and hold it for at least 10 seconds.
3. Release the pin. If successful you will see the router starts to reboot (like after you switch on the router)
4. Give the router some time to reboot. (approx 30 seconds to 1 minute.)
5. Try connecting to your router again (http://192.168.2.1) (your default gateway to your modem)

(Note: If your default gateway is not same as above, use the one you usually do to connect to your router). Use ipconfig from the command prompt to determine your default gateway.

6. Once you are able to get back to your router config page, you can perform your Internet connection setup by running the Belkin install disc provided with your router

Please let us know if you are still having issues. Hope this helps you somehow.

Cheers.

Squallcolin.

So far no success at all. I will definetely try it out what you are suggesting me. I will let you know by monday as I am now away from home. Thank you again and fingers cross it'll work. :thumbsup: