Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Center Product Key

• Please log in to reply

spid4567

spid4567

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
My PC is close to 2 years old. I recently purchased a DVR box, and I am trying to use Windows Media Center. When I go through the TV setup, it wants a product activation key. I tried the Win 7 key, but that does not work. My PC did not come with Windows disks. Where do I get the key?

When I run Digital Cable Advisor, it says it has already been run.

I am running Win 7 Home Premium.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
It should be on the side of the PC Tower, possibly on the sticker for the Operating System.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If Win7 Home Edition is installed then I highly doubt the key code for that will work as it looks like you already tried it.
You will have to purchase a Media Edition to get it to work if that is what it requires.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 15 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

spid4567

spid4567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I resolved the issue. Apparently, some motherboards report to Windows Media Center that they don't need a key. Running the Cable Advisor via Windows Media Center is supposed to automatically generate the key. Since my motherboard tells it that one is not needed, the Cable Advisor says that the PC has already been cleared to run the HD Media Center, so does not make a key. I was able to get a valid key elsewhere.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK thank you for the update and I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue. Great investigative work on your side. :thumbsup: