Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows can't find delfolders.exe on boot [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

oi2ks

oi2ks

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,
Thanks for your help. For the last few months my computer has been giving me the message "can't find c:\windows\system32\tools\delfolders.exe". It hasn't affected performance so I've been ignoring it but I'm concerned that malware has installed and this is an indication of trouble. I use Avast Internet Security and I've run Malwarebytes; both come up clean. I ran OLT for all users and attached the logs. I really appreciate your help.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Gammo

Gammo

Member 2k

• Malware Removal
  • 2,299 posts
Hello and welcome to Geekstogo!

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help.
If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below.

This problem isn't being caused by malware, but I should be able to fix it though. :thumbsup:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:OTL
    O4 - HKLM..\RunOnce: [Execute] C:\WINDOWS\System32\Tools\DelFolders.exe File not found
    O4 - Startup: C:\Documents and Settings\erich.GECHHO2\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Reboot.exe ()

:Services

:Reg

:Files
    ipconfig /flushdns /c

:Commands
    [purity]
    [resethosts]
    [emptytemp]
    [emptyflash]
    [createrestorepoint]
    [reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done

Please tell me know whether that fixed it.

oi2ks

oi2ks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Pasted sequence and clicked on run fix. The system is hung and OTL is not responding after 20 minutes. What should I do now?
Thanks!

Gammo

Gammo

Member 2k

• Malware Removal
  • 2,299 posts
Try to close OTL. If you can't, please (manually) restart your PC.

Then try running this fix instead of the above one:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:OTL
    O4 - HKLM..\RunOnce: [Execute] C:\WINDOWS\System32\Tools\DelFolders.exe File not found
    O4 - Startup: C:\Documents and Settings\erich.GECHHO2\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Reboot.exe ()
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done

oi2ks

oi2ks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks! That fixed the problem. If it's not too inconvenient, I would like to understand what the problem was. I understand that you're busy so if it's a bother or too difficult to explain, no worries.

Thanks again!

Gammo

Gammo

Member 2k

• Malware Removal
  • 2,299 posts
Something deleted the DelFolders.exe file without deleting the registry key that runs it every time Windows starts. That's why you got that error every time. Windows try to load that file, while it was in fact not present.

oi2ks

oi2ks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for the explaination. I appreciate your help. Closing this thread.

Gammo

Gammo

Member 2k

• Malware Removal
  • 2,299 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.