Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer reboots when trying to log in to Windows [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

AshesOfTheWake

AshesOfTheWake

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I've been around these forums so I apologize if I don't post up to standard; however, before I begin I'd like to state that I'm NOT entirely sure if this is a malware/spyware problem but this section of the forum is more active than the Windows 7 one and it's somewhat of an emergency. I apologize if this is in the wrong section and if need be, you can move this thread to wherever it should go.

OKAY

So, as of this morning every time I turn on my computer, I can make it to the log in screen, I input my password and then when I press enter my computer reboots. I cannot log in normally at all. I've booted up in safe mode, ran malwarebytes and AVG virus scans and they've both come with nothing so that's why I have no idea if this is viral or not. In the past few days I haven't downloaded anything suspicious or messed around with any settings; I also keep up to date with my windows updates but I think I've missed one recently. My computer is fairly new, I bought it new in September. Specs are as follows:

Gateway DX4850
Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
Service pack 1
Intel I7-2600 3.4GHz
8GB of DDR3 RAM

Any other specs needed, just ask
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I need to get my computer up and running ASAP!

Thanks!

EDIT: So I did a little researched, tried unclicking 'automatically restart' via my computer > properties > start up and recovery settings > automatically restart

didn't do anything... safe mode also labeled the error as a BlueScreen even though there was no blue screen.. I'm at a loss.

Edited by AshesOfTheWake, 09 January 2012 - 11:03 AM.

Advertisements

Gammo

Gammo

Member 2k

• Malware Removal
  • 2,299 posts
Hello and welcome to Geekstogo!

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help.
Please let me know if you still need help, or if you have since resolved the original problem you were having. :thumbsup:

It's been a while since I've been around these forums so I apologize if I don't post up to standard

I didn't know we had rules for that. :lol:

AshesOfTheWake

AshesOfTheWake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey there!

Don't worry about the delayed response, it gave me time to fiddle with the inners of my computer (suggestion of a friend). He told me it could be due to some loose hardware. So I played with my RAM sticks because apparently they can be a popular cause for this sort of problem... to no avail did that help. But after letting my computer rest for a couple days without messing around in safe mode or its insides, I turned it on a few days ago and I was successfully able to log in normally!

I have no idea how, but it just started working out of the blue. I checked all the error reports and they all came up the same. One was labelled as a graphics card driver error, and the other was labelled as a 'BlueScreen' error even though I have never witnessed a BSOD on this computer, yet. I took a screenshot of the error (the gfx card driver error) with all of its codes and whatnot but it's on my external HDD in case my problem were to arise again. If needed I can dig it up and attach it. I was also considering uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them in safe mode but my computer seems to run normally again now so I don't really want to mess with a good thing. Thoughts?

So this also leads me to believe I'm officially posting in the wrong section of the forum now but in all fairness, I've only ever had malicious problems with my computers, never a hardware/software problem. So you can move this thread around if you'd like. Though I appreciate the response! :)

Lastly, in response to posting etiquette; when I first started posting on these boards, it was under a different name at that point, but if your thread didn't have a hijack this log attached to it, it generally wouldn't get looked at and would get swept under the rug :P

Gammo

Gammo

Member 2k

• Malware Removal
  • 2,299 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.