Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to activate firewall, connect to internet after repair in XP Pr

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
A messed up Symantec can also cause network problems.

Give Dial-a-fix a try: Dial-A-Fix, Fix Windows Updates problems and more.... This little gem has fixed a lot of weird problems for me and others.

Advertisements

THX1136

THX1136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Z - Wanted to let you know where I am at in the process.

I did try the registry hack, but no go on the firewall. I started to get curious about which service pack was installed as you mentioned them often. The OS disc I borrowed must be pre-SP1 as there was no SP showing. Decided to install SP2 since I had it and 3 ready to try on the other approaches. After a successful install of SP2 I got the firewall up and running, BUT lost the ability to use the USB opitcal Logictech mouse. I may have caused that as I unplugged my flash drive during the restart instead of being patient - during black screen load in screen. It froze at that point so I did a manual restart and cursed my impatience.

I was able to key to Chrome to try Windows Update. Microsoft doesn't like Chrome as the screen I got to said I needed IE. Keyed to download IE 8 and was successful. Started Windows Update and it updated itself (if I am remembering correctly) I am now running Windows Update a second time and it's cranking away at something.

Right now I'm planning to let WU run. I have a spare mouse at home with the old Windows interface plug (pS 2?) which I'm going to bring into work and see if it works. Then I'll go from there. I want to try the Dial-A-Fix and also do the unistall of Symantec (which I admit to not remembering to do before I started this process).

If you have any thoughts I'd be happy to hear them. Again, thanks for helping all you have.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I think your plans are good. Get the mouse working for sure.

I would uninstall Symantec first though, before doing anything else. Just remember to use the Norton Removal Tools from the link I gave you.

Running Dial-a-fix won't hurt though it sounds like everything is working and may not be needed.

May want to give this a go as well: USB DEVICES - How to delete all (resolves some USB problems), Windows Made Easy. In your case delete everything under USB, then reboot and be patient and let XP rediscover everything and reload the necessary drivers. Can take 2-5 minutes after booting.

THX1136

THX1136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks for the input Z. Haven't visited the USB link - will do that after this reply. I have the Norton Removal Tools ready to go. I think I dumped them in on the 2nd drive - if not the only way I have them is on my flash drive. I assume I can run NRT from a cd-rom. I can burn one here at home if necessary. I'll give you the results after I try your suggestions.

Thanks again for your help.

THX1136

THX1136

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Long story short - Success!

Detailed: Tried Norton Removal Tool. It directed me to use the Add/Remove which I did.

Tried the ComboFix suggestion. Got a window saying "Windows could not find 'ComboFix'. . ." It suggested I do a search which I did and came up with nothing found. Decided not to pursue farther.

WU installed SP3 without incident.

Followed your suggestion on the USB and it worked. Everything is now restored - mouse and printer and appears to be working correctly.

Thanks again Z for your time and help. I appreciate your efforts! Hope all is well.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You're welcome, glad all is working again.