Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Questions about installing Windows 7 on a new HDD

• Please log in to reply

Magnificent Exploding Head

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I recently purchased a laptop an HP Pavilion laptop on Ebay. Model dv6-3234nr. It did not have a hard drive included & I bought it with the intent of installing a blank hard drive & 64 bit windows 7 pro or ultimate in it.
I was wondering what the difference is between full retail versions of windows & OEM versions. One low priced listing on ebay is for an OEM version for Dell. It does not come with a COA & in the picture the disc clearly has "re-installation disc" & "Dell only" printed on it The seller claims it will install on any PC. Would this actually install on a blank HP hard drive, or would it require some sort of hack to do what the seller claims?

I don't want throw my money away on something unusable, or have to hack the software just to install it.
What should I know about OEM versions of windows when looking on ebay?
Or would I be better off with a full retail version instead?

Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I was wondering what the difference is between full retail versions of windows & OEM versions.

Full versions have more features than OEM versions, brands such as Dell and HP etc purchase and use OEMs in large quantities to keep costs down.
A Dell branded disk is intended for a Dell computer and nothing else and to suggest hacking it is asking for trouble as it is software piracy/theft which carries not only something like a $250.000 fine per offence but prison time also.
Do the wise thing and either contact HP and purchase the disk intended for the machine or go for http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832116986

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I didn't intend to buy the dell disc. I thought it was fishy, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
Plus I found an HP disc for nearly the same price.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Full versions have more features than OEM versions

No, sorry that is not true. There is absolutely no difference in features or capabilities between OEM and full Retail versions of Windows. It is ONLY the packaging and the terms of the license agreement (EULA) that is different.

Key differences:

OEM/System Builder License

• License is tied to the "original equipment" it came with or was purchased for and cannot be transferred to a different computer or to an upgraded motherboard (a different, new or upgraded motherboard is considered a different computer),
  • Technical support must be provided by the OEM provider (Dell, HP, Acer, etc.) or the System Builder (you as the self-builder or the custom builder of your computer),
  • Cost less (because MS does not provide tech support and cannot be transferred).
Retail License
  • License is tied to the hardware but can be transferred to a different computer as long as the installation is removed from original computer,
  • Technical support is provide by Microsoft for one year,
  • Cost more (because it comes with 1 year tech support from MS and it can be transferred).

Phill is right about the potential penalty - up to $250,000 plus 5 years for each offense. With a computer typically lasting 5 years or more, and a new license costing $100 - spread that over the life of the computer and it is not very much. And of course, there are free Linux alternatives that will meet just about any computing need. So it is just not worth the risk to illegally use software - it is considered theft and/or copyright infringement.

What should I know about OEM versions of windows when looking on ebay?

There are basically two types of OEM licenses, branded and unbranded. Branded are those that come directly from the major PC makers like Dell and HP. These typically have been modified so they can only be installed on that brand computer. And to your question, I don't believe branded licenses can be resold - on eBay or anywhere. So I would be cautious - beyond normal caution buying anything on eBay.

Unbranded OEM/System Builders licenses come from Microsoft and anyone can buy them from Newegg or Tiger Direct or another "authorized" retail outlet - or directly from MS as a download or on disk. The unbranded are not modified, but the terms of the license is the same - that is, it can only be installed on the one computer (motherboard) it was purchased for. The unbranded is what self-builders and custom builders use. And again, it has all the features, capabilities and bells and whistles of the full Retail version, but costs less, has no transfer options and the computer builder (you) must provide tech support.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Am I mistaken then thinking that the full retail disk offers both the 32-bit and 64-bit installation option and full technical support from MS as opposed to an OEM disk only providing either a 32-bit or 64-bit installation option not both, and only technical support from the OEM provider not MS (updates apart).

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Am I mistaken then thinking that the full retail disk offers both the 32-bit and 64-bit installation option and full technical support from MS as opposed to an OEM disk only providing either a 32-bit or 64-bit installation option not both, and only technical support from the OEM provider not MS (updates apart).

Actually, the retail "package" or fancy box contains two disks, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit, but you are only allowed to install one or the other.

When you purchase an OEM license, you do have to specify at the time of purchase, 32 or 64-bit and it comes in shrink wrap, not a box. But other than that, the Windows that is installed are identical - that is exact same features and capabilities.

And you are correct about technical support. With Retail, you can call Microsoft tech support and get free help. With OEM, the System Builder is responsible to provide 1 year of support. With OEM, you can still call Microsoft, but they will charge you for it.

See this Newegg comparison. Note features are line-for-line identical (except the retail description has an extra line to address both disks).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for clearing that up Digerati :thumbsup:

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP