Welcome Guest to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Feel free to browse the site as a guest. However, you must log in to reply to existing topics or start a new topic of your own, and enjoy all this forum has to offer. Additionally, if you can assist another member by sharing your knowledge, please post a reply! Best of all - Registration and all assistance, is FREE! Learn more about How it Works. Infected? Malware Cleaning Guide. What are you waiting for?
Create an Account Login to Account

Crucial M4 128GB $160-170 free shipping

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,089 posts
  • MVP
Probably the best SSD currently available:

Buy.com: http://detonator.dyn...x?sku=221150373

New customers can save $10 with instant coupon here: http://detonator.dyn...p?prid=82955137

128GB is a great size to install Windows, your boot applications, and most commonly used.

I have a 128 GB SSD in my system, and it's the best upgrade I've made in many years.

Advertisement

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 33,982 posts
I would love to get a SSD but I would need twice that size since I run both XP Pro64 bit and Win7 64 bit.
I have a 500 gig SATA now partitioned 3 times for the above and Linux Mandriva 64 bit.
With HD's in general rising so much in price I will wait till they drop again. I wonder if having 4 hd's totaling almost 3 gigs would be overkill? :whistling:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,089 posts
  • MVP
Do you use them equally? I have a 1TB hard drive holding data, and programs. I also use it to multi-boot into an old Vista installation. The SSD houses Windows 7 which I use the majority of the time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 33,982 posts
Honestly I don't use Linux much anymore. I go to it once a month to keep it upgraded but haven't used it really in the last 6 months. XP I do use at least once a week to keep myself up to date with the OS and older programs that will not work in Win7.
I use Win7 99% of the time now so that is why I said I need a SSD large enough to hold the two OS's only. My XP partition is 125 gigs with 25 gigs free.
My Win7 partition is 245 gigs with 191 gigs free.
I have 2 1tb drives that I use one for games and music and the other is for data and copies of all my dvd's.
With a 320 gig SSD I think I would have enough to accommodate the two OS's as they stand now with no issues.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,089 posts
  • MVP
I'd put the Win7 partition on an SSD. 128GB is great plenty. 64GB will suffice, but 80GB-128GB offers more breathing room. Booting to XP once a week does not justify the cost of a 320GB SSD.

P.S. You could always run XP mode if your version of Windows 7 supports it (Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise). It boots very fast on an SSD.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 33,982 posts
Tried to do the XP Mode link you supplied and after running through step 1 it installs and then a popup windows says click continue to install.
It tries to download and install the Windows Activation again and again.

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured