Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crucial M4 128GB $160-170 free shipping

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Probably the best SSD currently available:

Buy.com: http://detonator.dyn...x?sku=221150373

New customers can save $10 with instant coupon here: http://detonator.dyn...p?prid=82955137

128GB is a great size to install Windows, your boot applications, and most commonly used.

I have a 128 GB SSD in my system, and it's the best upgrade I've made in many years.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would love to get a SSD but I would need twice that size since I run both XP Pro64 bit and Win7 64 bit.
I have a 500 gig SATA now partitioned 3 times for the above and Linux Mandriva 64 bit.
With HD's in general rising so much in price I will wait till they drop again. I wonder if having 4 hd's totaling almost 3 gigs would be overkill? :whistling:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Do you use them equally? I have a 1TB hard drive holding data, and programs. I also use it to multi-boot into an old Vista installation. The SSD houses Windows 7 which I use the majority of the time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Honestly I don't use Linux much anymore. I go to it once a month to keep it upgraded but haven't used it really in the last 6 months. XP I do use at least once a week to keep myself up to date with the OS and older programs that will not work in Win7.
I use Win7 99% of the time now so that is why I said I need a SSD large enough to hold the two OS's only. My XP partition is 125 gigs with 25 gigs free.
My Win7 partition is 245 gigs with 191 gigs free.
I have 2 1tb drives that I use one for games and music and the other is for data and copies of all my dvd's.
With a 320 gig SSD I think I would have enough to accommodate the two OS's as they stand now with no issues.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'd put the Win7 partition on an SSD. 128GB is great plenty. 64GB will suffice, but 80GB-128GB offers more breathing room. Booting to XP once a week does not justify the cost of a 320GB SSD.

P.S. You could always run XP mode if your version of Windows 7 supports it (Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise). It boots very fast on an SSD.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tried to do the XP Mode link you supplied and after running through step 1 it installs and then a popup windows says click continue to install.
It tries to download and install the Windows Activation again and again.