Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build help please

• Please log in to reply

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
hmm...sence its not doing anything...try taking it back out.

What type of case is it?

also

What kind of risers/mounts are you using plastic or brass?

Advertisements

steve2z

steve2z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Took mobo back out- still not doing anything other than the ethernet port lights up when I turn power on. They are the brass risers, I am now thinking perhaps the front switch cable has been disconnected, I will pull the front panel and check tommarow.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Possible but doubtful re: magnetic screwdriver - still sounds like improper ground or a short. Have you got standoffs under all the tinned mounting holes and nowhere else? You might want to try starting this with no case switch (pwr & reset) or light (HDD LED & PWR LED) wires connected to the motehrboard. Use a small screwdriver to momentarily bridge the two power switch pins on the motehrboard - if that starts you up, you had your case wires connected improperly or you've got a bad switch.

:tazz:

Edited by Rockster2U, 04 June 2005 - 12:34 AM.

steve2z

steve2z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Crud, still nothing, even with bridging the power it won't come on at all, the only thing I get is that light for a moment when I turn the power supply on.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
OK - at the expense of telling you something slightly different, the concept is the same, this is just my method. Pull the main power cord. Disconnect the ATX power header fronm the motherboard. Remove your CMOS jumper from 1&2 and put it on 2&3. Wait 10-15 seconds. Rejumper it 1&2. Reconnect the ATX power Header to your motherboard. Plug your main Power cord back into your machine. Now try starting up again either with a screwdriver blade or with the power switch connected. If you power up, start dancing on the Delete key and head into your BIOS and set it at default settings and F10 your way out.

steve2z

steve2z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Nada- I'm not sure what the deal is, luckily a MB isn't too expensive, and the processor is probably still ok- and the power supplies I've already gone through a couple(one that came with the case was bad)

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
RMA the board. Contact the mfg and send it back for a replacement. Should cost you shipping only.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Yeah looks like a RMA/return is in order.

Most likly the board shorted to the case.Just dont tell them that :tazz:

steve2z

steve2z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
K, I'm looking at a different mobo now to take advantage of PCI-E graphics cards, so I'm going to make a good thing out of a bad thing, and probably get a better system overall in the process. Thanks guys for the help- this time I'll mount the thing correctly.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
You do know thats a Socket 754 motherboard...right?

What 3000+ are you using in it?

edit: Do you have links to where you bought them from?

Edited by OneCool, 05 June 2005 - 05:12 PM.

Advertisements