Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System keeps rebooting over and over and over ad nauseum...

• Please log in to reply

WWhermit

WWhermit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
OK. A few things happened. I completely uninstalled the current graphics driver via the control panel. I did not touch the Nvidia nView 135.94 or the physics driver, only the 285 version of the graphics. If this was in error, this will need to be repeated.

So, I restarted the machine, as prompted. When it booted back up, it booted past Safe Mode into normal running mode. When the desktop loaded, I had 2 error messages. The screenshots follow:

Posted Image

Posted Image

After clicking the messages, I waited to see what happened. The system was stable, with no graphics drivers. I browsed on the internet, and let the machine run for 20 minutes, and had no crashes.

I booted back up into Safe Mode and installed the 280.26 version of the Nvidia driver, and rebooted. The machine booted into normal running mode, stayed there for about 20 seconds and then crashed and rebooted.

I still have the 280.26 installed, and have done nothing else, and await further analysis and instruction.

WWhermit

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Go back please to the start of the driver uninstall procedure
This time click to uninstall NView software

If you click No, the nView software is removed, but the profile files are saved in the
Windows\nView directory on your hard disk.

Presuming you do NOT have any profiles you may remove it completely by clicking YES

In respect of your screenshot

NvMcTrayRUNDLL32.EXE ...NVMCTRAY.DLL, NvTaskbarInitSystem Tray icon used to manage settings for nVidia based graphics cards. May be required for some 3D applications to recognize your card correctly - such as the game "Everquest". Otherwise, settings can be changed manually via Display PropertiesIt is therefore nothing to concern yourself with.

NvCplrundll32.exe NvCpl.dllIntializes the clock and memory settings on nVidia based graphics cards. Enable if you overclock your cardand the same.

Therefore using add and remove programs uninstall the Nvidia - this time including the NView
Boot again to normal mode.

IF IT IS AS BEFORE and stable - go device manager, expand display adaptors, open that by doubleclicking and tell me please what is shown then click the driver tab and provide pleas eehat is shown if any additional info. then click driver details and provide please what is shown there.

Now go device manager, startup and check if the two entries above are on the list and checked.

WWhermit

WWhermit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
1) I went back and uninstalled the Nvidia graphics driver from add/remove hardware. I uninstalled nView also. I then uninstalled the physics driver. I booted into normal mode, everything was fine. On the desktop, however, I saw an icon for nView. Odd, since it was uninstalled. I double clicked it, and CRASH! The system rebooted. I rebooted it into Safe Mode, and checked add/remove again. There was a new program for Nvidia. I clicked remove. I then rebooted into normal mode, which I am in now, and so far, no crashes.

2)Everything you wanted to know about my video card:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

3)Now go device manager, startup and check if the two entries above are on the list and checked

I'm a bit confused on this request.

WWhermit

WWhermit

WWhermit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Also, I have not attempted to reinstall any graphics drivers. Waiting on further instructions. So far though, I've been running on normal mode going on 30 minutes without a crash. Nothing from Nvidia is installed.

WWhermit

WWhermit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok, I guess I made myself a liar. I tried to install the Nvidia graphics driver provided by your link, version 280. I installed only the driver, and on the installation sequence, clicked "perform a clean install." It installed, I restarted into normal mode, and it crashed within a minute. Previous to this, when I had no drivers installed, the internet was running in normal mode for over 2 hours with no crash.

WWhermit

WWhermit

WWhermit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Bad news. My computer was downloading updates from Microsoft, installing them, and the computer crashed. When it restarted, I couldn't connect to the internet. Apparently, the LAN driver is now gone, and I can no longer connect. I downloaded a new driver for the ATTANSIC L1 controller, went to install, and another crash. This time, during reboot, the power supply started flickering on and off. I reached back and turned it off manually.

I waited a minute, turned the power supply back on. Started the computer, and the computer crashed while trying to load into Safe Mode. Again, instead of restarting, it would only flicker. Turned it off, waited a minute, turned it on. Again, power supply turned onfor 15 seconds and crashed.

I think my power supply is now fried.

Here's my question. Do you think this could have been the problem this whole time? At this point, I'm getting ready to just replace the computer itself.

WWhermit

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

This time, during reboot, the power supply started flickering on and off

Do you mean the power led on the case.

There was no indication of a power problem, in speedfan as the voltages appeared correct, although it MUST BE STRESSED that it is only a very rough guide.

It is really very difficult to advise you NOW of course.

With the graphics running and the system stable, after uninstalling the driver and the NView it was my intention to attempt to carry ouit some more checks.

IT could be the power supply, it could be the motherboard itself.

With hindsight and of course it is a wonderful thing, it may have been best to leave it running and see where we could go from there

Referring tio your post 19 - it was running OK and then 20 I installed the driver - and it crashed and then 21 - updates - IN BETWEEN the crash and installing updates - had you again uninstalled the driver.?

My best advice is - DO NOT SPEND too much. If you can borrow, beg or whatever a power supply , try it with another PSU.
The old idea of testing a PSU with a multimeter is a non starter, firstly they must have a connection made between two wires of the main connector, in order even for them to send power, that is effectively what happens when you press the ON power button on the computer.
If you connect the wrong two - it is good only as a paperwight.

Alternatively if you have access to such take the PSU out and take it to somewhere that will test it. I do not know how you are placed there but here a small local computer repair business offers such a service.

OR you can purchase a basic PSU tester for a relatively small cost.

In summary, it is difficult, to make reasonable progress ON the forum now it will not boot.

YOU MAY consider, removing the graphics card and seeing if the PSU will remain ON, with the fans running.

If replacing the graphics card results in this situation changing - then although it is NOT a positive and conclusive result, as the extra power demand may still indicate the PSU, then one MAY reconsider the grpahics.

I regret that I cannot offer more definite advice.

WWhermit

WWhermit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Inbetween the crash and installing the updates, yes, I did uninstall the graphics driver. The computer was in normal running mode, with the internet on, and Windows downloaded the updates automatically. When I clicked yes to install, it crashed on update 3, for the ethernet controller.

The LED was not flickering. The power supply itself was "flickering" on and off, like a car trying to start on a weak battery. I turned it off, waited, turned it back on, and it powered up, only to crash again while trying to start in Safe Mode. Now, it will not power up at all.

I could get another power supply at some point, but I also planned to replace this computer later in the year anyways. I figure this is as good an excuse as any. I will keep this computer to figure out as well. Curiosity will get the better of me, I know.

I will either send you a message or try to reply to this thread when I can play with the old system. My new build is here:

http://www.geekstogo..._1#entry2107981

WWhermit

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Good luck with it.
It certainly does seem from what you say that the PSU is in issue.