Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60.0.1800

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I have used MBAM for a long time. When going to use it 2 days ago, I got an update signal, just like many other times.
On clicking YES, the update was actually a new version as per the title, not just the routine update.

I downloaded from the MBAM site and MajorGeeks, but still no joy.

It will not load. All I get is an error panel saying that there is a problem with MBAM and to send an error report to Microsoft, which I did not do.

I had this new version in and out 4 times, even using Safe Mode, but still MBAM will not load. At present I have uninstalled every bit of it, including that folder lurking in Program Files. ZA and AVG are not to blame, since in Safe Mode they are not active.

Never has this problem before. Does anybody know what is happening ?

I use Windows 2002 XP Home with SP3.

Edited by John Bull, 13 January 2012 - 10:22 AM.

Advertisements

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
As there have been around 30 views but no replies, I browsed the web and ended up with a whole mass of complaints that MBAM does not work from many users, so a am not alone.

This problem is rife on the MBAM Forum and the proposed solutions are so voluminous, complex and for a tiny program like MBAM - laughable. It has to be seen to be believed. If curing this problem comprises an output only surpassed by the troubleshooting manual for the Space Shuttle, then find another AM program.

Some little anonymous guy popped up in the midst of all this tidal wave of Geekology with this simple solution and it worked for me. It involves using the MBAM uninstall cleanup program ====>

Follow these steps to ensure the best results when using the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Cleanup Utility:

* Uninstall the MBAM software normally from the Control Panel.
* Restart your computer;
* Download the MBAM cleanup utility from here: http://www.malwareby.../mbam-clean.exe
* Run the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Cleanup Utility
* Restart your computer
* Download the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* Reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* Run/install MBAM>update>open>and use.

I did all this and MBAM opened perfectly with no problems. I did a scan, closed MBAM and tucked the icon back into place on my desktop.

Problem solved without wrecking my PC and my brain by trying any of the infinitely complex gobble-de-gook listed on the MBAM Forum.

PROBLEM SOLVED

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi John Bull,

Thanks for doing the research and providing a solution. Just goes to show what havoc residual files can cause.

Donna :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A small problem with a lot of research and a great easy resolution.
Thank you John Bull for your persistence in finding the resolution and posting it for others so they will not have the stress. :thumbsup:
Members like you are what makes GTG so great and friendly. I applaud your posting and of the resolution and description of the issue and your steps in such a professional manner. ;)