Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp will not start

• Please log in to reply

kenskaii

kenskaii

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm using a Dell Dimension E310. I recently upgraded to SP3 on my windows xp. Now It can't start up, and gives me this message:

Windows could not start because of an error in the system. Please report this problem as:
Load needed DLLs for kernel"

I've looked up a few sites on how to fix this error. Everyone keeps suggesting reinstalling windows. I don't have a windows installation CD. I got this computer 7 years ago.

Now the difference with my situation is that I have both vista and XP on my computer. So I'm still able to access the files of my XP through vista. Now I hate vista, and I would like to get my XP working again because Most of my work and programs I use are on that side.

My question is this: Is it possible for me to fix this problem without reinstalling if I am still able to access the files ? If so, Please let me know.

Hopefully I just need to download a certain file and insert it in the right folder

Thanks.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

1. What is the exact error message is there anything extra other than what you have stated please.

Windows could not start because of an error in the system. Please report this problem as:
Load needed DLLs for kernel"

Such as - for example -
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\system 32\hal.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\system 32\KDCOM.DLL
Windows could not start because of an error in software
Please report this problem as:
Load needed DLLs for kernel.

However yours may read slightly differently to this, due to the dual boot..

Is this a dual boot with ONE hard drive -two partitions ONE with VISTA and one with XP or a dual boot with TWO hard drives.

I presume you HAVE tried LAST KNOWN GOOD on F8 - not that I really expect it would produce results.

That E310 would originally have had XP installed I think, so although you do not have that CD - do you have the Vista DVD.

Open a command prompt - as an administrator please - and type bcdedit

When you have
bcdedit results - right click, select all, key enter, and paste to wordpad. Save please. Then on reply copy and paste to reply message please. As a COPY and paste NOT as your wordpad file which I have to open

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
kenskaii

On 15 Jan
you joined GeekstoGo and asked for advice.
You have never replied to the advice that was offered.
Would you please do so and update your thread.
Thank you