Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Play Games on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
When I click on the START button and then on games, then try to play one they all display this message (see attached screenshot). Is there a fix for this?

Attached Thumbnails

• games.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
debodun
You have started topics on various forums but havn`t provided your computer details, I noticed in one of the screenshots that you provided these details HP Compaq DC5700s is this the computer concerned and if so did you check that the computer is capable of running Windows 7 before installing it?

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I just bought this computer and Windows 7 was already installed. It has a 1.86 GHz Intel Core 2 Processor and 3 GB RAM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
From post #2

I noticed in one of the screenshots that you provided these details HP Compaq DC5700s is this the computer concerned

What is the answer please?

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I found a solution - I had to copy the games folder from Program Files folder into the Program Files(x86) folder, then change the compatibility settings. They were set to run in Vista and I changed it to Windows 7 and they worked. Thanks for your suggestions, though.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for providing the solution for the benefit of others :thumbsup:

Stormspottertodd

Stormspottertodd

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My gf had the smae problem...same exact screen. Tried turning games off, rebooting, and turning it back on as suggested in another forum elsewhere and that didn't work. So I was lost, too.

Wanted to make sure...

...You literally cut and pasted your Games folder over to PRogram Files (x86)?

And how do you change the compatibility settings? I've never actually had to make use of that yet. So I'm not familiar with that.

Thanks!

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
You have to have Windows 7 Ultimate as the OS.

Stormspottertodd

Stormspottertodd

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Heh. Not sure I've heard of "Ultimate" but I do have Win 7 "Professional".

I'm actually thinking of sending the computer back to TigerTronics at this point. I have the exact same computer at home, and I bought the one having problems for my girlfriend for her work. I even took her printer home, tested it out on mine, and it worked fine. Mine had no problem installing the games, and hers can't seem to get them to work even after turning games off, rebooting, and reinstalling. Also, it seems to have a problem recognizing allowing other network computers access. Mine is the exact same one and it has no problem with all these things. They're refurbished HP DC-5700's, 3.4 GHz processors, 2 GB RAM, and Win 7 Professional on each. Little speedsters. BUT, one works fine, and the other can't work with ANYTHING without some sort of a hiccup. I'm starting to think that the one having problems probably has something to do with the reason WHY it was probably sent back by whoever had it previously in the first place.