Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound card

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
I have sound blaster audigy ls card,ocassionally my sound becomes garbled or slow sounding,i have most updated drivers available for Windows 7 Home premium.I was told no option in bios to disable my onboard sound card,so i tried to do it,in device manager,but problem still comes up ocassionaly.Iam stumped on this,tried creative sites,but not much help.Sometimes,of problem arises,when i reboot,it resolves it,or if i reinstall drivers,than reboot.Thinking,could be hardware issue or software issue.I did notice some shared i believe IRQ'S with this sound card,tried disabling that device,but,still same issue.Any help,much appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You are wasting your time with a sound card that is no longer made. I have dozens of these cards and none work very well in windows 7. Do not waste any more time on the audigy series and go out and buy a x-Fi card that is made to run on win 7. Also do not buy the cheapie x-Fi extreme gamer card because it is nothing more than audigy2 hardware with new drivers. Matter of fact its the same drivers you are probably using right now. Buy the titanium card, you will appreciate the better sound.

http://www.amazon.co...2&condition=new

I have yet to see a motherboard that you cannot disable the sound card in the BIOS. Have you checked the Bios to see if it is possible? Most motherboards automatically disable the on-board sound when the computer sees a sound card in the system, but a few do not.

SRX660

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
I thought so,but,was better than my onboard,which was a realtek,did similiar,used to lose sound and same happened with when i had Vista as it does with this audigy ls,with windows 7,what about that i see about 4 items sharing same IRQ,would that cause an issue too also.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You really can't control IRQ's in win 7 and there usually isn't any problems as win 7 makes virtual IRQ's to stop any interference. ( IRQ's above 15 are virtual) your problem is using a PCI card which cannot use virtual IRQ's so there is interference with other hardware. The easy fix is to use a PCI-E sound card (AUdigy x-Fi) which can use virtual IRQ's.

SRX660

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Well,i purchased a sound blaster x-fi titanium PCIe,sounds great so far,what to see if any issues arise,also downloaded new drivers for it,at creative site for Windows 7.Had to remove an AverMedia TV Card,cause was occupying my other PCIe slot,only have two,one is for graphic card,others are just PCI.i do notice,this PCIe card i put in,is on same IRQ as other,but so was AverMedia and Marvel Yukon Ethernet,i wasn't using the AverMedia card.So i assume everything will be o.k.,hope not having to repost a reply for this topic,TY for your help.