Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB input stop working

• Please log in to reply

Maelkoth

Maelkoth

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This is starting to annoy me, and I hope someone here can help me solve it.

Bought a new computer 5-6 months ago and everything has been fine up until a few days ago.

I can be using my PC (playing a game, or just browsing) when suddenly it refuses to respond to any input. My mouse, keybord and headset/mic. are all connected via USB, and they will all stop working. But only one way. The sound is still played in my headset, and there is still power to the mouse and keyboard. If I plug them into another USB-port the device connected sound will play, and I can use them again.

I have just reinstalled windows (clean install), but to no avail.

I am runnign win 7. Motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth P67.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot something like this? Any ideas on how to solve it?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Maelkoth ... :wave: ..:welcome:...

did you try system restore yet..if not give it a try...go back about a week before the issue started...
nojoy...
did you install any new hardware or software just prior to the problem starting...
any updates for windows or any other software...
after the clean install did you update the drivers for the mobo...do the chipset drivers first...

Maelkoth

Maelkoth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, thank you for your reply.

Yesterday I tried using a different mouse, and so far it looks like it has solved the problem.
Apparently my mouse was able to shut down every single one of my USB-ports at will...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Apparently my mouse was able to shut down every single one of my USB-ports at will...

I don't think that is even possible but if changing the mouse worked then I can't argue with success...
anyway thanks for letting us know... :thumbsup:

Maelkoth

Maelkoth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I don't think that is even possible but if changing the mouse worked then I can't argue with success...
anyway thanks for letting us know... :thumbsup:

Neither did I, but changing mouse worked.

Now I know :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
a little experiment to confirm your postulation...plug the mouse in a different computer and see if the same issue happens on that system

Maelkoth

Maelkoth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't really have any other computer to experiment on, and I am not going to risk plugging that mouse into my work pc.

A colleague of mine told me he has had the same problem, but with with a different USB unit (not a mouse), which is why I tried solving it by changing mouse in the first place.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that my mouse caused all usb ports to fail. Before I switched, I had the problem at least once an hour. Haven't seen it once since.