Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Automatic Reboot

• Please log in to reply

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Is There any way around the Windows automatic reboot when updates are done? Sometimes I have things running through the night, or certain things left up on the screen that I need to check on in the morning. And when I get up, I find that Windows has rebooted my system and everything is gone. This is causing me more headaches than aspirin can take care of. So I need a fixit pill for Windows instead of my head. :rolleyes:

Advertisements

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Oooops...sorry. I am running Win7

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Change you Windows Update settings to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them". This will then cause the Windows Update icon to appear in your system tray alerting you that there are updates ready to install, allowing you to manually install them on your time - which you definitely should do at your earliest convenience.

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I can't find an option for that. The only option is to "Let me choose to install them" or "Let me choose to download and install them". Is there another place I should go to check?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
That is odd. What version of Windows 7 are you using? In any case, that does not seem right because apparently it is currently set to "Install updates automatically (recommended)" and you did not mention that. I just looked on two systems here, Windows 7 Pro and Windows 7 Home Premium and both have the same 4 options:

Install updates automatically (recommended)
Download updates but let me choose whether to install them
Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them
Never check for updates (not recommended)

I recommend the second option for you.

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I am fairly new to Win7. I just transferred from XP and finding I would rather go back to XP. :rolleyes: Anyways, I go to START and then ALL PROGRAMS and then click on WINDOWS UPDATE. Am I going to the wrong place or what cuz I don't see the options you listed. I can't even find what version I'm running. But I'm sure it is Win7 Home. This freakin version is wearing me out just trying to find stuff. :help:

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Okay...like I just found where to choose the second option. But I swear it wasn't there before. I checked and checked and it did not give me that option. Weird! :wacko: But thanks anyways.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Okay, I am glad you found it.

While I understand Windows 7 can be frustrating when coming from XP, Windows 7 really is much much better in many ways. First, it is much more secure than XP. It is more robust (stable - much fewer crashes and better recovery when there is a crash). It is faster (when coupled with modern hardware and software) and it supports today's HW and SW.

Everyone I know, including me, who never moved to Vista, had problems getting used to Windows 7. But everyone I know, including me, who stuck with Windows 7 long enough to get used to it, now think XP is old, clunky, archaic and will never go back. So give it time and I am sure you will not be disappointed.