Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deframenting programme gone?

• Please log in to reply

young-begginner

young-begginner

• Pip
  • 7 posts
When i'm trying to access defragmentor it get and error message saying

Microsoft Management Console

MMC cannot open file C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg
This may because the file does not exist,it is not a MMC console or it was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you dont have sufficent rights to this file.

By MMC it means Microsoft Management Console.
I am logged in as an administor
I have recently installed SP2 i have XP home edition
What shall i do to get defragmentor back??!!!
PLEASE HELP!!! BECAUSE I'M PANICKING ABOUT WHATS WRONG!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD, you get a blue progess bar

This will replace the system files

young-begginner

young-begginner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Keith
Thanks for replying but when i purchased my computer i never got the XP cd with it was i meant to?
I no stupid question but British stores are crap they forget to add these things!!
i have had this PC for a year and it is a HP. Still in need of.... :) !!!!
I have aslo found out that the search feature doesnt work as a 'component is missing'
and the help and support feature keeps saying 'exception:-' and doesnt work i may have deleted a system registry while using spybot search + destory should i use system restore even though i'm not sure whether that's the problem but that would also uninstall SP2 as i installed that on the same day!!??
Could this be because of SP2????
I dont know i'm confused and annoyed this stuff always seems to happen to me!!!
:tazz: ;) ;)

Edited by young-begginner, 02 June 2005 - 02:53 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would go with the system restore, you can always replace SP2

You will need to do this if help and restore is inaccessible

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;304449

Get SP2 on disc anyway, will save downloading in future.

If it is preloaded then you might run into a restore partition, be careful with this as one option will remove everything but XP.

If you got it at the lot who are always stamping down prices, you won't have got the CD cos they get a reduction from Bill.

When you win the lottery you can get it from

http://www.novatech.co.uk

for around 50

Edited by Keith, 02 June 2005 - 02:59 PM.

young-begginner

young-begginner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your fast help Keith!!!! :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is for getting SP2 on CD

http://www.microsoft...us/default.mspx

Krazie316

Krazie316

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I figured it out!!!!!!!!!

I've had the same problem due to Norton Antivirus deleting some dll's in system 32 from infection. Seems as windows has failed to automatically restore them like it usually does so you must do it manually.

go to http://www.dll-files.com and get these dll's (some you might not need)

msxml2.dll

msxml2r.dll

msxml3.dll

msxml3a.dll

msxml3r.dll

msxml4.dll

msxml4r.dll

dfrgres.dll

dfrgsnap.dll

and dfrgui.dll

If asked if you want to replace another version of the dll, don't untill you've tested dfrg.msc and if it still don't work replace them all.

Drag these dll's in C:\Windows\System32\

you can back up your old dll's if you wish but when you put the new ones in then delete them windows will automatically start replacing them.

Try that my friend and spred the word to everybody having this problem. Took me a good 4 hours of reefing windows to figure this out.

Edited by Krazie316, 04 August 2005 - 12:57 AM.

young-begginner

young-begginner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your reply and hard work. I have fortunately corrected my probs but some of my friends still have this problem i will get them to try it out as theirs isnt the same prob as mine. You really must have tried hard so THANKS AGAIN!!!!! I'm off to let my friends know BYE!!!!! ;) :) :tazz:

Krazie316

Krazie316

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Thanks for your reply and hard work. I have fortunately corrected my probs but some of my friends still have this problem i will get them to try it out as theirs isnt the same prob as mine. You really must have tried hard so THANKS AGAIN!!!!! I'm off to let my friends know BYE!!!!!  ;)  :) :tazz:

View Post

Fa sho, I left out the fact that it could also be that one of the following needs to be replaced as well but this goes for anyone still having the problem.

dfrgres.dll

dfrgsnap.dll

dfrgui.dll