Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem w/ boot on hard drive

• Please log in to reply

skier210is

skier210is

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am installing a new Western Digital harddrive on my machine, w/ XP home. I was running the WD software from the old harddrive to copy files onto the new harddrive which I was setting as the new master but in the middle it had an "unexpected error" and quit. Now when I try to boot off of the old hard drive it boots okay until where you normally get the user select interface, it just gives me a windows logo and nothing else. The hard drive I was installing didn't get all the files copied onto it so it doesnt boot either. I know I can just reinstall windows but is there any other way to repair or fix the boot on the old hard drive w/o doing so? I think maybe the WD software messed with the boot files so that windows won't start normally.

Advertisements

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Are you planning on using the new hard drive as your master, and installing WIndows on it?

If so, you could install a fresh copy of Windows on it, and set your old hard drive up as slave, and in Windows, copy allof your files over. That is the way that I always do it, and have never had a problem.

Ben

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
run your xp disc press r at setup screen to enter recovery console then when in recovery console type "fixmbr" press enter ur sure reboot if that dont work try "fixboot". do both on old hdd

hope this helps u can type help into console and it will give u a list of things that might help.... :tazz: