Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new computer win 7 in trouble

• Please log in to reply

joanelaine

joanelaine

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi Everyone,
I have a new computer, well it was a gift for Christmas. I thought I was working my way around Windows 7 but got into trouble this morning. I hope someone can help me. this started when I was curious as to how I access my Windows Live Mail from another computer if I am away from home. I googled it, not sure what I did but ended up at the live.com site (Ithink), I'm so confused. I couldn't see my Windows live folders there, I logged in with my Hotmail account though. Next thing when I went to my Windows Live Mail on my computer the address book was different and just about evry email account I've ever used was added and quite a few other contacts that belong to other friends were added, some very old ones that have since changed. I'm in such a mess and can't figure out how to delete the contacts that I don't want there. I went to start and found a list of contacts but they are not the same as in the actual Windows Live account. All I wanted to do was find out how to access Windows Live Mail if I am away from home and I've ended upwith a big contact messy list that I can't seem to delete, I don't want to delete all just the ones that have been added.
I'm also assuming now even though my bigpond account is in win live mail that I would have to go to Webmail to see them if I am away.
I hope someone can tell me how to delete these old email addresses, is this what being in the cloud does?. Oh dear what a mess.
thank you,
Joan.

Advertisements

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Just thought I would let you knlow I have figured out how to delete unwanted email addresses from my contact list. I still don't know how to access my WLM if I am away from home and need to use another computer.

Also, I have been told Wndows Live Mail is not safe because it's in the "cloud" and everyone has access to my computer, is this true?.

Many thanks,
Joan.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Also, I have been told Windows Live Mail is not safe because it's in the "cloud" and everyone has access to my computer, is this true?.

No, this is not true. It's no different that using any web based E-mail, like AOL, Gmail or Yahoo.

As for accessing it from another computer, see here: How do i access windows live mail from another computer?

Hi Darla, my name is Rick, and I work with the Windows Outreach Team. I would like to try and help. Your Windows Live email account is hosted online, it is the same as hotmail and msn mail. All those email accounts come through the Live Account. If you got to Live.com and sign in you will see “Hotmail” in the upper left, just click that and you will access your live mail there. You can get to it from any computer, anywhere, anytime. But if you viewed your past emails with an Email client such as Outlook or Outlook express, then those emails would have been downloaded to your computer’s Hard Drive and may not be accessible if your computer is dead. Just to remind you that your Live mail should be accessible in Hotmail. Just use your live email address and password and you should be able to access your email account.
Rick, Windows Outreach Team

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thank you very much for responding, that is a relief to know that I am safe and that windows live mail is not "cloud" based. I really don't know what that means anyway. I've been using Hotmail for years together with my Bigpond email account. I have a new computer running win7 hence my confusion. I used Outlook Express with my old computer XP. I had Hotmail and Bigpond set up in OE., with no problems. I know that Hotmail stopped some users from setting up Hotmail in OE some time ago but if one had it alread it was just a matter of me changing the ports. However, thats in the past. Now I have Windows Live Mail which I like but was worried about security and this "cloud" that I keep reading about is not safe and anyone can access my personal data. Thank you for clearing that up for me.
My question is....do I have to go to Hotmail site to view my Hotmail emails if away from home and use another computer. And do I have to go to my ISP provider (Bigpond (Telstra) to access my bigpo0nd emails if away from home.
thank you very much.
joanelaine.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, you go to the web site for each of the E-mail providers you use with what ever browser you use, IE, FireFox, Chrome, etc.

There is a lot of information on Cloud computing available on the Internet. Check out some of the hits from this Google search: what is the "cloud"

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Many thank for helping me and ansswering my questions.
joanelaine

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You're welcome, good luck.