Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to connect to the Internet?

• Please log in to reply

typette

typette

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, so to fully understand my situation here, I guess I have to sort of start from the beginning.

I bought a PC back in 2003 I think, and I still have it and it works perfectly. We long since swapped it out for a new computer, but honestly, we don't use it anymore.

So I took the PC we bought back in '03 and hooked it up in my bedroom and onto my television.
Now, everything is hooked up and running, however, I cannot connect to the Internet.

I have wifi and we actually used to have the wifi connected to that specific PC before swapping it out.

I have an Ethernet cable and everything, but plugging it in ties up my phone lines. I would do a scan and pick up my house's wifi signal, but that option isn't even there. For my Internet/Cable provider, I have a DVR in my room that has a jack the says Network, I'm wondering if plugging it in there would do anything?

I also tried changing some of my network settings to allow sharing, but even that isn't working.

I'm sure the solution is incredibly simple and I feel kind of stupid for asking this, but I just can't seem to figure it out.

Help?

Edited by typette, 19 January 2012 - 12:25 AM.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

I have an Ethernet cable and everything, but plugging it in ties up my phone lines.

Are you using Broadband with the Ethernet setup, or still using settings for Dialup ??
If you are using Broadband, it will not "tie up the phone lines", as you just connect the Ethernet cable to your Modem -

Thank You -