Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Invalid Partition Table

• Please log in to reply

Dezi100

Dezi100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Originaly this computer had a IDE CD/DVD and HDD on one cable plugged into the IDE channel on the motherboard.
The SATA ports were not used at all...it ran fine utill I was asked to format it and reload win7 as it was going to be given to some one else, the whole operation was just to remove all personel data of the owner.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What I'm asking is if you now have a SATA drive connected to a SATA controller and the installation worked and the system now boots up correctly with the SATA drive as the boot drive.
If so your IDE 1 may be faulty and that is why it won't boot from it.

Dezi100

Dezi100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yes.. I now have a SATA drive connected to one of the SATA sockets on the motherboard, and an IDE CD drive conected to the IDE socket on the mother board.
when it boots up it goes through the flash screen, which has the information on it to access the BIOS, then when "Starting Windows" should appear it goes black and the curser flashes in the top left corner of the monitor.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I think you need to go into the bios and set the SATA drive as the boot device now.

Dezi100

Dezi100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I did that when I fitted the SATA drive

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Still no boot into windows. OK this is strange since it doesn't have the IDE hard drive now and the SATA drive is the boot device it is either the hard drive which I doubt since the installation went without a problem.
The other option is the SATA is not configured correctly to be the first boot.
The system is not identifying the drive in the correct SATA slot.
A faulty installation :rolleyes:
The motherboard has a serious controller problem. :unsure:

Dezi100

Dezi100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I also think its a problem with the motherboard's BIOS, but other than the boot order I dont see any other mention in the BIOS about any boot management. As I can tell the computer to boot from the SATA HDD via another program and it dose perfectly, ths would suggest that the BIOS software is wrong ??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can try to set the bios to default settings and see if that works. It may be a setting you can do within bios and if not you remove the cmos battery for a couple of minutes and then put it back in. Bootup and the bios should be default.

Dezi100

Dezi100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Tried the default settings, but no change.
Even when the first boot device is set as the SATA HDD it still hangs up with the curser flashing. On my own computer this happens the same for a very short time then windows starts up. It seems to me like there's a comand missing in the process somewhere to tell the computer to go to the HDD...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually with the black screen with the flashing cursor it is most likely the OS that is the problem.
Is the OS installation disk a original Microsoft Win7 installation disk, download copy even if from a Microsoft authorized site or a burned copy?

Advertisements

Dezi100

Dezi100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
The OS disk is an original Microsoft Win7 installation disk,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets try a experiment.
Can you boot into Safe Mode and that will show if there is a particular driver that is causing this.

Also I would like you to do the following.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Dezi100

Dezi100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
OK I'll give it a go over night... (Thanks for the input so far)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and I will wait for your results.
I'm down to either a motherboard, memory, optical drive reading issue or bios issue.
If this is a store bought OS installation and unless there are some severe scratches on the disk I see no other reason for this.

Dezi100

Dezi100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
"SORTED" :-)

I was scaning through an old "NT for Dummies" I've never looked at for years..
and I found a section covering reseting the "Master Boot Record"

In case it may help anyone else this is what I did..

Win7 DVD in the DVD drive and boot from the disk, when given the opertunity >choose the repair option >choose the command prompt >type in bootsect /nt60 c:\ (thats if you OS is on the C drive) >type in when the last function completes bootsect /nt60 SYS >type in when the last function completes bootsect /nt60 ALL

Thanks for all you help in this nightmare, You got me thinking earlier when you mentioned that the BIOS didn't seem to see the partition.
I still don't know why this happened and would like to know... I knew there was a reason for keeping all those tattered dog eared books.