Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to connect to internet (Identifying network)

• Please log in to reply

willmon2000

willmon2000

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I have a hp pavilion windows 7 home premium that will not connect to the internet. When i ping google.com i get "ping request could not find host google.com. please check name and try again.". however, when i ping 74.125.224.176 i get "PING: transmit failed. General failure. 100% loss". I have also tried to connect while in safe-mode but not luck and i also reset all setting in IE. I have two other computers connecting to my 2wire modem and they are both working fine. The last attempt was installing a new network pci card. I have also swapped out the cable but i still get "Identifying... No internet access." Any help would be appreciated thank you in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• asd.jpg

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 January 2012 - 05:32 PM.
Removed Malware log: Not used in this sub forum

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you check the device manager for any yellow ! or ? marks...

did it ever work correctly...if so...try system restore
go back at least a week before you started having problems...

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
No there are no yellow ? Or ! In device mgr. I have also installed a pci nic to test the on board card but I still encounter the same connection problem. It had worked just fine untill about two weeks ago. I'm not to sure on how to do a system restore.

cptnshakenbake

cptnshakenbake

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Here are a few things you can try.
1. Are you getting an IP address from the 2Wire device? If you are getting a 169. you are not getting an IP from the 2Wire proceed to step 2
2. Power off all devices while they are all plugged into the 2Wire. If there is a modem involved that should be off too. Power up should be in this order and wait till they are up completely. Modem, 2Wire, computer with the issue, then the next computer and the last computer. If no go proceed to step 3
3. Try plugging in the computer with the issue into one of the Ethernet ports one of the working computers is plugged into. If no go proceed to step 4
4. System Restore Start\all programs\accessories\system tools\there should be a system restore there. Once your in the system restore there should be a calendar to choose a date to restore from. You should pick a time when the computer was working correctly
Hope this helps
:thumbsup:

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
So i got to the fourth step and performed the system restore past the time when the problem began. However, im still unable to connect to the internet.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try connecting directly to the modem

cptnshakenbake

cptnshakenbake

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
What IP address are you getting when connected to the 2wire? When you connect to the modem directly what IP address do you get? If you get an IP of 169 when connected to the 2wire and modem. Another thing you could try is doing an ipconfig /release and do NOT do a renew just restart the computer. When the computer comes up check the IP address again, if it is still 169 do ipconfig /renew if you receive an error what is that error? If none of that works try your NIC in a different PCI slot in the computer. I have seen issues with PCI slots and another slot may resolve the issue since this is a 2nd card you put in. Double check your tcp/ip settings and make sure it is set to DHCP and not Static.
Please let us know the out come
:confused: