Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

building new computer, having problems. Help?

• Please log in to reply

Tom Wan

Tom Wan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm building a new computer, and it looks fine, but when turned on, the clock thing on the motherboard only shows "ff" and I also want to know what it is called just so that I can look it up elsewhere if no one has the answer here.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi Tom Wan ... :wave: ..:welcome:

what is the make and model of all your components...
do you hear any beeps during startup...
does your cpu fan spin when you press the power button

Tom Wan

Tom Wan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I forgot if it beeped any, but the fans turn. It's supposed to show the fan speed or something on the clock thing right? But all it shows is "ff", and I'm not sure what make or model this is. I'm learning how to do this stuff, and someone brought a computer that I could try to make. I have some help. Not much. I know I have 2 286 or 2.86 pentium fans , and some other stuff. I'm not sure what wires I got mixed up, but my friend says that the ff is supposed to tell me what wires are wrong. He already knows how to put together a computer, but he wants me to learn myself. He can't figure out what is missing either. He says it is supposed to say 38 or a number around there, but like I said, it only shows ff.

Edited by Tom Wan, 20 January 2012 - 01:00 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
without some basic information on the system like make and model of
power supply including wattage
motherboard
ram...both number of sticks and size
CPU
and video card
I will be unable to help you

Tom Wan

Tom Wan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It has 4 sticks of ram, 2 are 512 mb and not sure what else. Ill try to find out by tomorrow what else it has. It has the outside of an old old computer, and the inside has new parts.

Edited by Tom Wan, 20 January 2012 - 11:41 PM.