Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Web Browsers Not opening

• Please log in to reply

Zack Nicolai

Zack Nicolai

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all. I am unable to open any web browser in Vista. I've had a few things over the past month(the Vista Security 2012 virus) but seemingly managed to clear everything out, and everything has operated fine. However, after a recent reboot(someone else, non-technical, was using the computer at the time, so unfortunately I do not know of any specifics of a crash, antivirus catching anything, etc) now I cannot open any of my web browsers, at least not for any period of time. Usually there's just a slight flash and nothing else, every so often they will open briefly but then close. Firefox I tried safe mode as well at it does the exact same thing. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be/what to check. I reinstalled browsers, no browser processes are running in task manager, etc. I'm really at a loss. Thank you for your time!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Zack Nicolai

First thing I suggest is flushing the DNS Cache "how to" below;

1.Press the Windows key then type in cmd (do not hit enter)
2.In the search results that come up, right click “cmd” and run as administrator, when the screen flashes and asks for permission, accept it.
3.In the command prompt type in ipconfig /flushdns (or right click and paste it to the command prompt) then press Enter.
You should then see a dialog box saying successfully flushed resolver cache, if so you are done post back with an update.

What AV and firewall are you using?
Have you tried IE9?