Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA to USB

• Please log in to reply

davidmcb

davidmcb

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Greetings- I have a HP Media Center PC m1050y from 2005. Now it will not fully boot up. I am happy to abandon it but there is about a month of work on the drive that I would like to get. The drive is SATA, and it seems to spin up fine, so I think it is good. My question is what is easiest way to connect this SATA drive to another machine and transfer the data? The perfect solution would be an SATA to USB conversion interface which I do see advertised. Will one of these devices allow me to connect the extracted SATA drive into a USB port on a new machine, see the file system (WINXP) and copy data off? Any guidance or warnings? Thx, david

Advertisements

cptnshakenbake

cptnshakenbake

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
A SATA to USB conversion interface will work. When using this type of connection it basically turns the drive into an external drive. You may need to change a jumper on the drive but that will be included in the instructions of the interface. Once you plug the drive into the new computer via USB you will be able to access the folders/files that are on the drive and transfer them to the new computer.

davidmcb

davidmcb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you! Just quick follow up to insure I understand. When I make the connection, will the SATA drive appear under MY COMPUTER as a drive? Thanks very much!

cptnshakenbake

cptnshakenbake

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
That is correct. Under my computer you will see it the same way you would if you plugged in a flash drive.

davidmcb

davidmcb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you for previous help on this. I was able to see the derelict drive from an old computer. This week I will receive a new Windows 7 laptop (Asus Zenbook UX31E-DH72 13.3" Ultrabook Notebook, Intel Core i7-2677M Processor, 4GB RAM, 256GB Solid State Drive, Bluetooth, Windows 7 Home Premium). I understand that W7 has a transfer files utility. My question is, will this utility work as expected when I am viewing the drive on my dead system across this SATA to USB connection? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks very much!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I wouldn't worry about the Windows 7 Transfer Help... just use the USB to SATA connector and browse the old drive and copy files over manually. i.e. Docs, Pics, Video, Music, Favorites.

On XP, Click Drive on My Computer (D or E possibly), Click Documents and Settings, Click User Name, Voila!

Hope this helps :thumbsup: