Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unexpected shut down

• Please log in to reply

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks for your help jcgriff2.

I ran memtest on the 26th (post #11). I will run it again tonight unless I hear otherwise from you before then. If it doesn't show any errors do you suggest I run each stick separately? I have heard that will work better sometimes.

As for memtestG80, I'm sorry, but can you tell me how to use this program? I downloaded it and ran it from the start button, but it never asked me the size of the memory. I could see that it was only testing 128 mb. Then, after the test ended, it gave a message that it was uploading the data, but it never opened a window for me to see what the data was. It just closed. I must be using it wrong, but I can't figure it out.

I tried running it from the cmd prompt but just got a message that memtestG80 is not recognized. It's been so long since I used dos! I have no idea what to do. :)

Thanks again,
m

Advertisements

jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• Expert
  • 92 posts
  • MVP
Hi -

memtest86+ should be rin 1 stick at a time; alternate slots

Info on MemtestG80/CL - http://fah-web.stanf...tG80-readme.txt

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Will do: One stick at a time.

For the memtest G80, I'm sorry. Could you tell me how to run this program? I am familiar with the document you linked to, but it doesn't help me. I'm having a more basic problem than is described in that document.

I click the windows icon in win7, search for memtestg80, and then I can double click it to run it. It seems to be analyzing only 128 mb, and there is no output anywhere I can see.

I went to the c prompt (using cmd in win7) and put in memtestg80 1024 but it was unrecognized. I made sure that memtestg80 was saved in the root drive (c:), but still no joy.

Please excuse my noobishness.

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
No luck with Memtest 86+, even running one stick at a time. Ran each of them for a little over 5 hours, and no errors were found.
memtest 2.9.JPG
memtest 2.10.JPG

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
OK, I figured out what I was doing wrong with memtestg80. I ran it last night three times. The first time I let it run stock and it only checked 128 mb: no errors. Then I tried to run it with 1024 mb, but it choked, I think because there was not that much free memory available to test. Last, I tried 800 mb and 50 iterations, and about halfway through it caused a BSOD. The event viewer said it was the same kind of crash as the others, kernal-power 41. I'm going to run it again now to see what happens.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...get Windows Memory Diagnostic...run it...the guide is there...

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Ran the WMD. Before it started, I got a message that it would not be able to test all the memory because it was more than 4 gigs. Ran it anyway: no errors.

Took out one stick. 4 gigs now in the machine. Still got the message that it would not be able to test all the memory. No errors.

No errors on the other stick either.

Also, ran memtestg80 for 1500 iterations. No errors.

If I don't hear otherwise from you, I'll run each stick of memory all night through WMD.

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
No memory errors.

Crashes are less frequent--about once a week now.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
once a week is still no good...try this again please...
this time try run as admin
Please download VEW the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso from here and save it to your Desktop...
right click VEW.exe...this time and select run as admin
Under 'Select log to query...put ticks in both application and system
Under 'Select type to list... select both error and critical
Click the radio button for 'Number of events...Type 5 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.

Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks for the tip about running it as admin. I couldn't get it to work before, but as admin it worked fine.

Here is the output:

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows 2008 in English
Report run at 26/02/2012 11:51:08 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - Critical Type
'Application' Log - Error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 26/02/2012 10:47:18 PM
Type: Error Category: 100
Event: 1000 Source: Application Error
Faulting application name: FanUtility.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000 Faulting module name: asacpiEx.dll, version: 1.0.0.10, time stamp: 0x00000000 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x00081ac7 Faulting process id: 0x1838 Faulting application start time: 0x01ccf4d8976a1b14 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite II\FAN Xpert\FanUtility.exe Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite II\FAN Xpert\asacpiEx.dll Report Id: d5cdd34b-60cb-11e1-98cd-00268331c684

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 26/02/2012 6:35:53 PM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 100 Source: Bonjour Service
Client application bug: DNSServiceResolve(68:a8:6d:85:0e:22@fe80::6aa8:6dff:fe85:e22._apple-mobdev._tcp.local.) active for over two minutes. This places considerable burden on the network.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 26/02/2012 6:33:43 PM
ERROR: handle_resolve_request bad interfaceIndex 24

ERROR: handle_resolve_request bad interfaceIndex 23

ERROR: handle_resolve_request bad interfaceIndex 22

'System' Log - Critical Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/02/2012 3:36:05 AM
Type: Critical Category: 63
Event: 41 Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 16/02/2012 8:37:17 PM
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 12/02/2012 6:07:17 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 11/02/2012 6:50:13 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 07/02/2012 3:41:50 PM

'System' Log - Error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 26/02/2012 6:37:32 AM
Type: Error Category: 1
Event: 20 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 3 (SP3).

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 26/02/2012 3:02:28 AM
Event: 7031 Source: Service Control Manager
The Superfetch service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 24/02/2012 3:24:33 PM
Event: 7000 Source: Service Control Manager
The Steam Client Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 24/02/2012 3:24:33 PM
Event: 7009 Source: Service Control Manager
A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Steam Client Service service to connect.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 23/02/2012 11:04:12 AM
Event: 7031 Source: Service Control Manager
The Superfetch service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
either uninstall Bonjour or go here and update it...

do the same for Steam Client Service...

try to install 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 3 using windows updates

if you have your mobo cd uninstall AI Suite II...we can install it back later...
if not we can use msconfig to keep it from starting with windows...

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Uninstalled Bonjour. Didn't see the need for it.

Did a big windows update, including office, my wifi adapter, and a few other things.

Steam had an update today too, just by chance. Do I need to do anything else with that? I think the problems referred to there are a couple of times when I was playing Skyrim and it crashed to the desktop. I think it's unrelated to the restart problem I've been having.

As for AI Suite, I don't know if it's possible to uninstall completely. I can go into ai suite and uninstall components of it, but couldn't uninstall the whole thing. I uninstalled the fan utility, since it seemed that it was the culprit. Let me know if you think I should take out more.

Last random restart I had was on 2/18, 10 days ago (previous to that, 2/16 and 2/11).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
10 days is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick... ;)
but you should go months if not years without crashing...well maybe years is a stretch...

if / when you crash again run VEW again and post the log...no need to put in quote or code tags...just post it as text
FYI...
if you do want to remove AI its located in the add remove programs in the control panel but don't remove AI just yet...lots of info there to be had

Attached Thumbnails

• uninstall ai suite.jpg

LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Attached File  VEW Log.txt   6.33KB   278 downloadsHi everyone,

I found this forum and it appears to be the kind of problem I am experiencing courtesy of Windows 7 Ultimate. I have installed the VEW and am attaching the log output. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
I must tell you this is a brand new machine purchased in August. The event log goes back to September 2, 2012 when the unexpected crashes have began and not until yesterday did I realize what's going since there are others users in my home who did not tell me about these unexpected crashes. If you need me to go back to September 2, please let me know.

Edited by LifeOnMars, 19 September 2012 - 09:52 PM.