Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about chk dsk r/ f with windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Davidewillard

Davidewillard

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was getting an error when I was trying to reformat my computer so I looked up the error and saw I should try CMD and type in chk dsk r/ f. After I completed the steps in dos I rebooted my computer. My computer rebooted but the monitor won't turn on and goes into sleep mode.

Is this normal when doing a chk dsk ?? I heard the process could take several hours but shouldn't i be able to see a progess bar on my monitor? And all I hear is my fan making a loud noise. It's been about 2 hours now should I be worried or just stop freaking out and wait? And how do I work if the chk dsk is working correctly if I can't see anything on my monitor ?

Any informations would be great!

Thanks!!

Advertisements

Nathan

Nathan

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Try and hold the power button in, and then turn your system back on. You should get a blue screen (I think it's blue, can't remember, could be black) saying it's going to check your disk.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The steps to run chkdsk on a Win7 system are a little different then on a XP system. Below are the instructions.

Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

Nathan

Nathan

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

The steps to run chkdsk on a Win7 system are a little different then on a XP system. Below are the instructions.

Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

You can still run CHKDSK from an elevated command prompt.

Davidewillard

Davidewillard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Awesome it's working now and pro forming the scan thanks for the help!

Nathan

Nathan

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Awesome it's working now and pro forming the scan thanks for the help!

I really couldn't tell you why it crashes on boot sometimes when that happens. That's what I do though, hold the power button in.

You're welcome, good day. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when running chkdsk you only need to put /r
/r Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /f and /p)...

here and here