Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Master File Table

• Please log in to reply

Baldyloxxx

Baldyloxxx

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi, i have 2 HDD's in my pc. One running 7 32bit and the other 7 64bit. The 32bit hdd had started giving me jip, it would often start and suggest starting in safe mode, then it started being stupidly slow in starting up, i mean really slow. And that would also affect my other HDD's start time. I decided to unplug the 32bit and deal with it when i had more time. I came to doing tha yesterday and when i start up i get a read disk error, so i booted from the other hdd with the 32bit plugged in and it started a chkdsk on the dodgy drive. It themn came up with a 'windows cannot recover master file table'.

What now dudes?!

Cheers
Danny

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
What now - very much depends on what you NEED to achieve.

Although 64 bit installation may also be used to install 32 bit, the license ONLY covers either the 64 bit installation or the 32 bit installation NOT BOTH - in usual circumstances.

In otherwords, as I understand the situation if you purchase Windows7 64 bit you may decide to install 32 bit., as your system is not ready for 64 bit. When it is you can then on the same motherboard (as Microsoft see a new M/B as a separate installation) or by telephone call to Microsoft and if they agree, you can uninstall the 32 bit and install the 64 bit.
What I do not think you can do is install and run both 64 and 32 bit from the ONE license.

I appreciate that ALL the above may be entirely irrelevant to your circumstances as YOU may have TWO licensed activated Windows 7 O/S
Depending on how the dual installation was set up, if your objective is NOW to boot and use the 64 bit installation and I read correctly that you cannot do that then you will have to rebuild the BCD so that the 64 bit installation may load, without the other HDD that has the 32bit installed.
See this
http://support.micro....com/kb/2004518

Your first approach is WITH the HDD of the 32 bit NOT installed either F8 and if there is an entry REPAIR your computer and then the normal options under Windows7 including startup repair try that first.
If not boot from the Win7 DVD and follow the same.
If that does not work you will have to select cmd prompt and then follow the link for the BCD (Boot configuration Data rebuild)
Do not forget that the drive letter may well be changed in the Windows RE. again see the link.

NOW to the question of the MFT - as you probably know that is where the system looks to find the contents of the drive including the Boot files etc., as each single file on the drive is referenced in the MFT, which is on the first block of the drive.
TRY running the chkdsk with the drive in an external enclosure or docking station.
IF the MFT is damaged, then you are either looking at verifying the state of the drive with the manufacturers disk check utility - always best if you are not unfortunate enought to have a HDD of which gthe manufactruer does not provide one, in which case use Seatools or WD check that will run in limited generic mode on any drive.
http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

you can try this but I have NO DIRECT knowlege of its use, I have read reports of it being quite successful. and if it is IT should I think be seen ONLY as a temporary measure while you ascertain the state of the drive and replace if necessary.
http://www.cgsecurit...g/wiki/TestDisk

Baldyloxxx

Baldyloxxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi and thanks for the reply.

Firstly, i do have 2 liscences. I have my old 32bit which came with machine and a new purchase of 64bit. My PC is fully able to handle the 64bit.

My dsik is completely un accessible. If i plug it in before i start the pc it wont boot and if i plug it in when the machine is running the pc freezes. When i do a chkdsk it fails and says MFT is missing.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well personally I think it is a lost cause
At this stage of the proceedings I can only suggest you try the suggestion in the last paragraph of my previous post.

I think the best procedure is to place it an enclosure or docking station and see if you can run any utility on it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Baldyloxxx

It is now some 10 days since your last reply.

How are you progressing with this problem.
Have you managed to make any progress.
Would you please update the thread when you have chance