Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard and mouse only work in bios not safemode or login

• Please log in to reply

RFolsom2

RFolsom2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, My Dell Inspiron 1525 mouse and keyboard stopped working so I restarted the computer and now I cannot login. I am not able to use safe mode because the mouse and keyboard do not work. I can use then M and KB in BIOS. I tired system restore but received error. I am afraid I will have to do a factory restore. Please help I can't afraid to lose my files.

Edited by RFolsom2, 22 January 2012 - 07:56 PM.

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hi RFolsom2!

Welcome to GeeksToGo Posted Image

Couple of suggestions:
1. Have you tried using another keyboard and mouse?

2. It may be that the keyboard and mouse drivers are corrupted, which is a rare occurrence, but could be indicative of other issues such as a failing OS or Hard drive. You can try a repair by booting from the Windows CD and selecting the Auto-repair function that will replace any faulty files.

If the above steps did not help, don't hesitate to come back, and please post back if it fixed the problem. If you do require additional help please post back with your system specs, cheers!

RFolsom2

RFolsom2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, I used a wireless mouse and it still did not work and when I put CD into the computer it did not read it. This is because I am logged in and I can’t log in without the mouse and keyboard. So I am not sure what to do.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try using a wired usb keyboard and mouse

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
In addition to using a wired mouse and keyboard, insert the Windows CD while he computer is on (you don't need to log in) and then reboot, it should give you the option to boot from the CD (if not automatically). If not, configure the boot order settings on your BIOS and put the CD drive first. Please post back with results, good luck!