Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Won't Turn On

• Please log in to reply

rhymin

rhymin

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I came back after being gone for a couple days to find my 24 inch Westinghouse monitor not working. The little light at the bottom lights up proving that it is getting power, but it will not turn on in any mode (including HDMI). Is this a backlight problem? I used different cables and different ports on my surge protector. I even plugged in a smaller monitor with the same cable and in the same port, and the smaller monitor worked fine. If this is a backlight problem, is it expensive to fix, or would I be better off replacing it with a 23 inch monitor for around $130?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If a backlight problem, you can verify that by shining a flashlight into the screen and looking in real close. If you can see the image being displayed, then it is a backlight problem - either the bulb itself, or the inverter. Parts are typically $50 to $150 depending on availability. Plus labor is typically 1 hour, 2 at the most. If you can find a brand new 23" monitor for $130 that like, that might be your best bet.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I just realized, if it were a back light problem, wouldn't it have to turn on? It gets no power at all.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

It gets no power at all.

Huh? Note you said in your opening post,

The little light at the bottom lights up proving that it is getting power

If the backlight (CCFL) is burned out, or the inverter is fried, the power on indicator will still light, but you will see nothing on the screen (except with the flashlight trick).

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I'm sorry, I meant in the first post that the little Westinghouse logo lights up.

But, the actual power on indicator does not come on when I hit the power button on the monitor.

I should have been more specific, sorry.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I'm sorry, I meant in the first post that the little Westinghouse logo lights up.

But, the actual power on indicator does not come on when I hit the power button on the monitor.

I should have been more specific, sorry.

No problem. Actually, I find it odd the Westinghouse logo lighting up is NOT the power on indicator.

Anyway, did you try shining a flashlight into the screen?

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I tried the flashlight, I don't see any image at all.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, then something else within the monitor appears to have failed. There is no telling what that might be and it would need to go to a shop for troubleshooting.

Did you check the warranty. Many monitors come with a 3 year warranty - though most I think, are 1 year.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Yeah I've had this monitor for 4 or 5 years, so I think the warranty is gone.

Thanks for you time though, I am gonna take it into a shop.

Hopefully they do a free estimate type thing, which I'm not sure about cause I've never been.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Hopefully they do a free estimate type thing, which I'm not sure about cause I've never been.

Don't be surprised if they don't. Understand when it comes to electronics, troubleshooting (finding the problem) is 90% of the work (unless physical damage is clearly visible upon inspection - rarely the case). Replacing the failed component is the easy part. So to give a good estimate, the technician must spend a lot of time to complete almost the whole repair process, with the risk you might say, forget it. And then he has lost all that time he could have been working for a paying customer, and the potential income from you, for nothing.

This is why many shops charge for estimates, but then apply that charge to the bill if you decide to get it repaired. It is still worth asking, and if it does turn out to be the CCFL or inverter, many shops charge a flat-rate (plus parts) so there should be no surprises.

That said, for a 4 or 5 year old monitor, I'd be looking at a new Samsung or ViewSonic if me.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thanks for this, good points, this helps a lot.

I will consider buying a new monitor if I do not think repairing it is worth it.