Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

100% CPU usage for no apparent reason...

• Please log in to reply

Emily837

Emily837

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I was referred here from the Malware forum after user Gammo was very helpful in disinfecting my computer. I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 running Windows 7 Ultimate. I only have 2GB of ram.

I am having a problem where the CPU usage suddenly goes to 100% for no apparent reason when I am running only Firefox and perhaps AIM, with my antivirus (AVG) running in the background. This, of course, makes it impossible to use the computer. It was happening constantly before, but now that the computer has been disinfected, it is still happening occasionally and for short periods of time, but sometimes longer. Sometimes I have to resort to restarting to be able to use my computer.

I would greatly appreciate any help, thanks!

Here is the link to the post in the Malware forum.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
click on start...in the search box...type in msconfig...continue...start up tab...
drag the bottom of the window down so that everything is showing and take a screenshot...post a screenshot for us

how to post a screenshot...go here...

Emily837

Emily837

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am not able to drag the bottom or corner of the window down, for some reason. Sorry :(
Had to do it the long way.

Attached Thumbnails

• systemconfig.jpg

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
while happy rock is ofline you have two antivirus apps running you need to choose which one you want to run.
norton or avg.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Run the removal tool of your choice.
http://majorgeeks.co...131482b8e4a8e42
http://majorgeeks.co...13cd88621e1213a

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
After you decide what antivirus you want to use it is safe for you to disable all of your startup entries except your antivirus.
http://www.sevenforu...ams-change.html

Edited by rockmilk, 23 January 2012 - 07:40 PM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Then run TFC.exe Link below.
http://www.geekstogo...er-by-oldtimer/

Hit the start button in lower left hand corner. Then in the run box type msconfig, then hit the services tab then put a check mark in hide microsoft services what is listed there,after hiding microsoft services?Please post back to us in a vertical list.

Or just post a screen shot of the services running after hiding microsoft services. :)

Edited by rockmilk, 23 January 2012 - 07:10 PM.

Emily837

Emily837

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
svcs.jpg

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Hit start button at lower left hand corner of the screen.Then in the run box type services.msc. Find the service listed below,one at a time. left click it once you should have the option to either stop the service or restart it , stop the service then right click selected service select properties then change the startup type to manual then left click apply and move on to the next service.If the service is stopped and the startup type is manual then do nothing.

Do the above for everything except anything to do with avg.Only with the services you posted in your last reply.

Also leave the sigmatel audio service alone,then rerun tfc.exe and reboot.

Edited by rockmilk, 23 January 2012 - 08:00 PM.

Emily837

Emily837

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, I did all that. The physical memory usage went way down but CPU is still at 100% :(

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Run sfc /scannow also run chkdsk /r Links explaining below.

chkdsk /r

sfc /scannow

IF THIS IS A DESKTOP Unplug the tower open up the side.Get can of compressed air and blow out the machine and reseat the ram modules video card etc,see video Plug it back in and see how it goes.WHILE YOU HAVE THE RAM AND VIDEO CARD OUT BLOW OUT THE SLOTS THAT THEY PLUG INTO.ALSO BLOW OUT THE HEAT SINK.SEE VIDEO

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Also I would uninstall avg and run the avg removal tool and then install avast if it were my machine.
http://www.avast.com...ivirus-download

Can you please post new screen shots of your services and startup.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
uncheck everything in the start tab (using msconfig) except your alps pointing device and whatever AV you kept...
I use and recommend MSE at this time...its run using minimal resources...
whatever you chose as your AV...update and run it...
report back if it finds anything

Emily837

Emily837

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Happyrock, I did everything except the pointing device one... something told me that may be important. Haha. I will do the next steps when I get home tonight. Thank you!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just for your info...I start working on computers about 6 AM pacific time and quit about 6 PM
if I gave advise after 12 hours of doing battle with computers the advice would probably start with...
TAKE A LARGE HAMMER AND WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT........ :happy: