Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SID:23621 System Infected Tidserv Activity Detected [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Homburg

Homburg

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 665 posts
Download Windows Repair (all in one) from here

Install the programe then run

Go to step 2 and allow it to run Disc check
Posted Image

Once that is done then go to step 3 and allow it to run SFC
Posted Image

On the start repairs tab select advanced mode and click start
Posted Image

Select the following items (remove the ticks from the rest ) and tick restart system when finished
  • Reset Registry Permissions
  • Reset File Permissions
  • Repair Windows Firewall
  • Repair Internet Explorer
  • Remove Policies Set By Infections
  • Repair Windows Updates

Click Start.

Advertisements

knarf1

knarf1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
At long last, successssss!!!
Updates is working.

Thanks so much for you patience.

Homburg

Homburg

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 665 posts

Thanks so much for you patience.

You're welcome, I'm glad we finally got there :thumbsup:

Please do the following to remove OTL as before:

Reset SR Points/Clean up with OTL:
  • Double-click OTL to start the program.
  • Copy the lines from the codebox to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):

:Commands
    [ClearAllRestorePoints]
  • Return to OTL, right-click in the Custom Scans/Fixes window and choose Paste.
  • Then click the Run Fix button.
  • Let the program run unhindered. When finished click on OK and close the log that appears.
  • Note: I do not need to review the log produced.
  • Now close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot.
  • On the OTL main screen, depress the CleanUp button.
  • Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.

The above process will flush old System Restore Points and create a new clean one.

You can just delete any tools and logs we have used on your desktop. ERUNT is a good tool to use periodically to make a backup of your registry but can be removed if you like.

Happy surfing and stay safe :happy:

knarf1

knarf1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
You have been very helpful. Much appreciated. I do still have that freezing problem that I have mentioned several times. Usually all is fine. But sometimes all stops and I get the endlessly spinning cicle. Like today it took 20 minutes for the OTL program to start--spinning circle until it kicks in--and then all is fine. I could start a new topic for this is you want me to.

Homburg

Homburg

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 665 posts
Hi,

It's not a problem I've dealt with before but we'll see what we can do.

As it happened since you got infected, can you make sure that your new Sophos AntiVirus is not scheduled to do regular scans.

Disable your screen saver.

It would also be useful if when using your PC that you could have task manager open, if it then freezes hopefully you might be able to see what process is using the resources.

Click your START button. Type the following text into the Run box and click OK:

MSCONFIG

The System Configuration utility window will appear on the screen.

Look for a tab called Startup. Click on this tab and you will see a list of programs and a box with a check mark next to each one.

For the purpose of diagnosing a problem startup program, it is OK to disable those until a problem is resolved or a solution is found.

Disable items by removing the check marks from all software related items eg anything to do with Apple, cell phone software, QuickTime, printers. Click Apply and allow Windows to restart.

When Windows restarts, a box will pop up stating you have disabled some startup programs. Just close the notice and use your computer for a day or so and see if the problem has gone away. If it appears the problem has gone away, you know you disabled the problem program.

Now the question is, which program was it? Here is how we determine this:

• Run MSCONFIG as I instructed above.
  • Now go to the startup tab again and put a check mark next to the first item on the list.
  • Click Apply and allow a restart.
  • Use the computer normally again.
  • If no problems, you still have the culprit disabled, if problem comes back, you just enabled the culprit.
  • Keep doing this procedure with MSCONFIG until you either have found the problem, or you have all the startups enabled again.

knarf1

knarf1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Will do. Thanks!

knarf1

knarf1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hi Homburg:

The only processes I have running at start-up are:
malwarebytes
sophos
zone alarm
zone alarm B
microsoft works
adobe reader
acrobat

The freeze usually comes soon after I turn my computer on.

Task manager shows by far the biggest memory user at the time is explorer or firefox.

After the freeze, I often get this message:

"Failure: security options"
At the top it says "Logon process has failed to create (I think) security options..."

Homburg

Homburg

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 665 posts
Hi,

After doing a Google search there seems to be a lot of this with Vista and the answer mostly seems to be along the lines of what we've just tried but disabling all services in safe mode and restarting them one at a time eg here:

1. IF YOU ARE FEELING LUCKY:
start windows on safe mode, press start and type 'msconfig' in the search/run box. go to the services tab, find the service 'superfetch' and uncheck the box next to it. Click OK and restart normally (If you have exactly the same problem I had - this should fix it).

2. IF THAT DIDN'T WORK:
start windows on safe mode, press start and type 'msconfig' in the search/run box. go to the services tab and click 'disable all'. Go to the 'startup' tab and click 'disable all'. Restar windows normally. If everything seems to be OK (many applications will not work now, and you will not have sound, but the important thing is that the initial problem is fixed), you just have to find which of the services or startup items is the culprit.
the quickest way is to check half of the options every time: check all the startup items and restart - if that's OK, they are all good, and the culprit is one of the services, otherwise - one of the startup items is to blame. So now we know if it's a service or a startup item.
Lets' assume it's a service (the process is the same for each of the options). Enable all the startup items and HALF of the services, to if the bad one is in the first half of the list or the second. From here on you need to keep narrowing your search, of of the bad section each time, until you find the one bad service...

knarf1

knarf1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Thanks, Homburg.
I am working on it, which is not easy given that the freezes occur at arbitrary times and there are like 150 services.

Is it normal for the malware protection to be listed as off under security essentials of the Windows security center--since I have Malwarebytes? (I cannot turn it on, nor can I turn on Windows defender.)

Homburg

Homburg

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 665 posts
Sorry for the late reply, I missed the notification.

Is it normal for the malware protection to be listed as off under security essentials of the Windows security center--since I have Malwarebytes? (I cannot turn it on, nor can I turn on Windows defender.)

I've not come across that before, maybe the malware corrupted them. We'll remove Malwarebytes until you're all sorted and I'll look into the Windows Defender.

Please uninstall MBAM with mbam-clean.exe http://www.malwareby.../mbam-clean.exe

Then restart your computer.

Advertisements

knarf1

knarf1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Thanks, Homburg. I did that--uninstalled malwarebytes.

In the Windows Security Window it says the Malware protection is turned off. Under that (details) it says that Sophow Anti-Virus reports that it is turned off. That is not so. When I take the moves in the Security Cneter to turn it off it still says the same thing.

When I try to turn on Windows Defender it says that the Security Center cannot turn it on--try again later (same old).

Homburg

Homburg

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 665 posts
Hi,

It sounds as though the Security Center is corrupted or something similar. Try the Microsoft Fixit for Security:

Go here click on the Windows symbol in section 1.

In the drop down box in section two click the Fix Security, Privacy or User accounts

In section 3, run Fix security issues to protect and secure Windows automatically if that makes no difference try the next one which should be Automatically fix Windows security settings to keep your PC safe.

knarf1

knarf1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I tried both and neither worked.

Homburg

Homburg

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 665 posts
How are you getting on with the services and trying to find out whats freezing your computing? If you've still got lots disabled, it could be why the Security Centre is not working. I suggest that you continue to gradually enable the services and we'll sort out the Security Centre problem when you've found the freezing issue.

knarf1

knarf1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
The uninstalling of malwarebytes seems to have solved the freeze problem. :)
All the services are working--same news on the security center.

Edited by knarf1, 23 February 2012 - 10:29 PM.