Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Drivers Corrupt, Mouse/Keyboard won't work in Windows

• Please log in to reply

bradyg23

bradyg23

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I'm struggling with my Dell desktop which only has USB ports (no PS2). At BIOS level the keyboard and mouse work. Once Windows loads, nothing.

I've reset the BIOS to defaults, checked connenctions, tried other keyboards/mice, and tried all ports. No joy. The only thing that makes sense is the USB drivers are corrupt. How can I uninstall the USB drivers using Recovery Console or Knoppix or ...? Any thoughts?

Advertisements

Wepynx-old

Wepynx-old

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Right click My Computer , click Properties, Hardware tab,,Device Manager,,look all the way at the bottom,,USB Contollers,,click the +,,right click on each one and chose ,update driver or uninstall.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
He has no mouse or keyboard, how is he going to do that?

What happens if you boot to Safe Mode by pressing F8 during boot? If that works then you can try the following:

USB DEVICES - How to delete all (resolves some USB problems), Windows Made Easy

Ignore the part that says DO NOT uninstall your mouse if you are using a USB mouse, just do that last.

Reboot your computer. In XP you can press Windows key then U then R to shutdown and restart.