Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need grafix upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Louie Frechette

Louie Frechette

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a acer AX1420G-U5832 desktop it has quad cores 4GB ram and 1tb HD I want a grafix upgrade whats the best from $50 to like $250 needs a fan I thinkin maybe?will it need other things like a power up grade what about gettin a side panel for it with a fan on it aswell plz lemme kno thx!

Edited by Louie Frechette, 25 January 2012 - 06:07 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Louie Frechette
If this http://www.walmart.c...01#Q&A Exchange is your computer there are two major factors regarding upgrading the video card 1: The case is the SFF ( small form factor ) type meaning you need a low profile type add on card 2: The PSU that is presently fitted only has a 240W output which will not provide enough power for most add on video cards and 3: Will an upgraded PSU fit inside the case, you need to measure the present PSU and check if there is any headroom inside the case for a larger PSU.

Please see the Q&A tab at the link provided but ignore the absurd Team Acer answer to the question asked by MaddogMcCree http://www.walmart.c...01#Q&A Exchange

Louie Frechette

Louie Frechette

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok thx guess I'll need a screwdriver and ruler and also sumbody said they went with the 8G ram w/o using the recomened 4G they put in a kingston KVR1333D3NRK2 the link google provided wouldnt work for that company the guy said the acer accepted all 8G fine is acer or whomever just being a wetblanket?the recommened is 4G ofcourse I mean will it just like do nothing?I am thinkin tryin to go with the best power supply ie more juice ofcourse and videocard doin maybe a 8G custom upgrade acer said it has room for another HD aswell with that power upgrade ofcourse they sell what 2TB HD upto like 4TB right wanna fwd through "futcure upgrades" and start workin on it soon than later like is more power gunna let me do this stuff or whatever exspecialy with maybe with another HD I feel I should have saved my cash and went with that acer preditor gaming cpu with 8G and 12G options liquid cooled and 4 HD slots able to hold like 8TB for like $2000 and oh yea 3D monitor but I wanna make like the best I can with this one cuz I dont really feel like sellin it then savin up for the other one like I metioned?I think what made my eyes light up was the Q&A at walmarts page of the customers 8G thing and also acer sayin another HD is possible like I said should I like get excited or start saving?Not afraid to go bigger with this I am a car guy and dont like stock anything really haha lemme kno whaqt u think plz!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Conflicting answers about the amount of Ram the board will accept, use the Crucial system scanner tool to get the correct results;

Use the Crucial system scanner tool to find the best recommended Ram for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details and shop around for the best deal http://www.crucial.c...ner/?click=true let us know what is suggested and we can also look for you.

Let us know the results and we can then look at your upgrade options.

Louie Frechette

Louie Frechette

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just says the 4G 2xs 2G I mean is there a difference in the ram components themselfs like a more effient upgrade a better 4G in the max 4G allowed or whatever like better parts is what I am tryin to say like tryin to picture a cellphone the new ones are 4G speed I dont kno if its related at all probley like a network speed is all but they come out with better quality phones is what i am sayin is upgradin to like a so called better ram as it were nessisary for now if possible or is just the ram acer provided suffient and or the best ones or one?I dunno if there is 2xs 2G in there now or one 4G I guess thinkin maybe 2xs is factory?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Without knowing the speed or Cas Latency of the Ram I cannot comment how much it can be improved.
At present my suggestion is to measure the size of the PSU because if you cannot fit a good quality one your upgrade options will be almost nil.

Louie Frechette

Louie Frechette

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hmmm ok might have to wait till monday really need a ruler I guess the computer I guess kind of slim my sister has like a fairly new cpu its still like fat much wider...I should open it up then what?measure the clearence where the factory grafix card is?maybe I should look on youtube to see where the thing is or is it as simple as lining up those like vga and other things connect?I see on some upgrade video and grafix cards there are all sorts of different connections there for diffect set ups or configurations?for exsample I even say so like I dunno ethernet lookin connection bout 4 of them on like a more expensive one the on other ones they seem to goto the monitor or whatever which makes sense...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Have a look at the tutorial provided courtesy of Troy and Artellos respectively http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/ ( PSU and video card details only )
See the Dimensions information at the Details tab for this example PSU so you know what measurements you need to take http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139026

Louie Frechette

Louie Frechette

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok kewl I'll look into it and get started I guess around monday ttyl thx

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok let us know if we can help in any way meanwhile.