Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook won't boot. Motherboard or CPU?

• Please log in to reply

Syo

Syo

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I am working on a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ140P notebook. Its an old notebook from 2006 and has been working quite well until now.

Apparently a loose screw inside of the system got caught on the cooling fan, stopping it completely. This caused the CPU rise to a high temperature (about 80°). I quickly shutoff the computer, open it up to remove the screw, let it cool off completely, then try to power it on to no avail.

When I hit the power button, my notebook powers on (lights and everything) but the screen remains off. At first I thought there was a problem with the screen but I realized when there was no harddisk activity (Harddisk is running but disk access light not flashing) that the computer is not booting up at all.

1.Disconnecting the battery and holding down power button for 30 seconds
2.Swapping RAM modules, using one at a time, using different slots.
3.Disconnecting harddisk to atleast get to BIOS.
4.Tried both settings for graphics (Stamina(Intel) and Speed(Nvidia).. I do get the appropriate LED indicator for each.
5.Tried disconnecting CMOS and resetting BIOS settings.
The only time I get a different response is when I try to boot without the CPU which causes my computer to shutdown a second after powering on.

So would this mean my motherboard is working and the problem lies on the CPU? The reason why im skeptical is because I thought if a processor gets too hot, the computer does an auto-shutdown to avoid damage. The problem is that I have no way of testing it because I don't have any processors compatible with this motherboard.

Either way I just need to be sure.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Syo
Try connecting to an external screen using the notebooks VGA port, you may need to toggle between screens using the Fn and one of the F1 to F12 keys or a single function key that may have an image of a screen on it.
You should also shine a flashlight into the screen and look closely to see if any images can be seen in the background.

So would this mean my motherboard is working and the problem lies on the CPU?

Unfortunately a loose screw is more likely to short out the MB and this can also affect the CPU.