Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD A320raid.sys issues

• Please log in to reply

jack83

jack83

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Lately my pc has been experiencing a significant number of BSoD events always with A320raid.sys mentioned, i haven't managed to remember the rest of the details on the screen but that just stands out. Im running my pc in safemode just now so i could do some research because i can't seem to log-in via normal startup as the system hangs on the welcome screen!

If it helps i have 2 harddrives (non-raid) and also an internal SCSII iomega REV drive. I'm uncertain which drive the A320raid.sys file refers to? I thought i would post here first to get an opinion on the matter. I read somewhere that this is the beginnings of a failing harddrive? I have no idea. I have plans to buy a new HDD anyway, but i was hoping to hold off for a while!

ANY help on this matter would be so very much appreciated!

thanks!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
A320raid.sys is for Adaptec HostRAID for Ultra320 SCSI. Try downloading and installing the driver here, see if it fixes the problem: Ultra320 HostRAID drivers version 1.02.63 Microsoft Certified

You should be able to do this from Safe Mode with Networking.

jack83

jack83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply.. excuse my stupidity but would this be an issue more likely related to the SCSII drive rather than my actual HDD?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Since A320raid.sys is part of your Adaptec RADI drivers I believe that is where the problem is. I don't see how the IOMEGA SCSI drive would cause a failure in A320raid.sys. I'd recomending downloading and installing the latest available.

If you don't used the Iomega drive then by all means remove it and uninstall the drivers. Certainly won't hurt and may resolve some kind of interaction problem.

From what I can see via Google, that's a fairly old piece of hardware.

jack83

jack83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay the BSoD just happened again right in the middle of when i was working on something. So i have downloaded the file you have linked to and unzipped the contents to the default directory. However i'm none the wiser as to how to install them?? It says on the website about checking the documentation for my Adaptec Ultra320 SCSI.. but as far as i know i don't have any? So what do i do? Any help asap would be amazing, was in the middle of doing work when the system went!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I didn't look at that page well enough when I posted the link. It's a driver used to create a 1.44MB floppy disk for use in installing a SCSI driver during the XP install process. Doesn't look like it will do you any good, sorry.

Let's try a different approach. Is the Iomega drive connected to the Adaptec SCSI PCI card?

It will look something like this:

ADP-29320ALP-R-RF-OE-image1.jpg

Do you use the Iomega drive? I would suggest disconnecting it (power and data cables) then remove the Adaptec card. See if you can run in normal mode and not have any more BSOD problems.

If that resolves the problem then you can decide if you want to continue using the Iomega drive. If so we need to try to find a newer driver or even reinstall the one you currently have for the Adaptec SCSI card.

jack83

jack83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I actually use the Iomega drive alot for backing up and accessing large files so uninstalling it from my system isn't really an option. Just an update on this I actually was able to find a file via Dell's website (not very well advertised at that) - a recommended update for my system to do with the BSoD crashes related to the adaptec A320raid.sys issue.. believe it or not i was able to find a 3.5 floppy disc and actually apply the update.. i guess it's a waiting game now to see if it actually works.. but so far so good today.. Thanks for all you're help on the matter!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Excellent, very happy you found a possible fix. Please let me know in a week or so if all continues to be okay.

Good luck.