Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RestoreDisks.com Restore Question

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 computer.
My niece had bought it at an auction at the bank she works. She gave me the computer.
As per procedure, the Hard Drive was of course wiped clean.
At the avast Forums, I was recommended RestoreDisks.com to acquire the Restore CDs.

Yesterday, using the Restore CDs from RestoreDisks.com, I got the computer running.
I tried to follow the instructions that were sent with the Disks as much as possible.
Unfortunately, the instructions didn't always match what was actually happening on the screen.

Anyway, as per the instructions, I was of course obviously at some specific point there supposed to be prompted to enter the Windows XP Professional 25-character Product Key so that my Windows copy would be fully-functional and legal.

Well, I performed the System Restore TWICE and I just plain ole NEVER got prompted for the Product Key. How can I manually enter the Product Key? Would that be the same thing as Activating my copy of Windows? How do I Activate my Windows? I thought that would have been somewhere in the "System Tools," but I don't see it anywhere.

I mean, my computer seems to be functioning. I made it all the way to being here, logged in on the Net.
But, I'm guessing without the Product Key in place, my Windows will stop functioning at some point, like maybe in 30 days or sooner?
And heck ... probably the Windows Updates won't load and install, right?

How do I correct this problem?

Edited by Chimiti, 29 January 2012 - 09:17 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
You could have asked your question at your other topic http://www.geekstogo...odem-questions/

How to activate Windows XP by using the Internet;

To activate Windows XP by using an Internet connection, follow these steps:

1.Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.
Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.
2.Click Yes, let's activate Windows over the Internet now.
3.Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
4.Use one of the following methods:◦If you want to register and activate Windows at the same time, click Yes, I want to register and activate Windows at the same time, click Read the Windows Registration Privacy Statement, click Back, click Next, type your contact information in the appropriate boxes in the registration form, and then click Next. An asterisk (*) appears next to required information.
◦If you only want to activate Windows, click No, I don't want to register now; let's just activate Windows, and then click Next.
The wizard establishes a connection with an activation server, and then processes the activation request.
5.When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK:

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thanks for replying, Phill.
Oh, I didn't ask my question over at my other thread because I figured it was a different topic and would be told to start a new topic. You know ... given that that one was more towards a HARDWARE question since it was Modem-related and my new inquiry was more solidly Windows-related.

Anyway ... as I mentioned in my initial inquiry in this thread ...
For whatever mysterious reason, I am plain ole NOT seeing "Activate Windows" in System Tools.
I remember sometime last week Googling how to Activate Windows with my other computer and having found out about looking for it in System Tools. In my other computer I do recall seeing "Activate Windows" in System Tools, but NOT in this Dell.

Ahhhhh! Okay, something has suddenly crossed my mind. Maybe you can confirm it.
Okay, out of those 5 Restore CDs I received from RestoreDisks.com, I have only installed the first 2 CDs, which were for the Windows XP Professional and for the Drivers. I do know that CD #3 is for TOOLS. You think the reason I cannot see "Activate Windows" in my Systems Tools is because I haven't installed that "TOOLS" CD #3?

NOW ...
CD #4 is for "Software Recovery CD." What exactly is that supposed to be for?
CD #5 is for "DVD Software Recovery CD." What exactly is that supposed ot be for?
You know ... given that my DVD Drive appears to be working ... at least as far as having read the Restore CDs and my AOL CD. Does this mean that without installing CD #5 ... it wouldn't play DVDs?

Edited by Chimiti, 29 January 2012 - 10:34 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Without knowing what exactly is on the disks I can`t honestly say, your priority now is to get your system secure by installing all important updates from http://www.microsoft...en/default.aspx you may be asked here to provide your product key, as I have said depending on what has already been installed the updates could take some time to complete.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I'm going to go ahead right now and install those other 3 CDs.
The only reason I stopped at CD #2 yesterday is because with that CD, the process was more manual, as in just install whatever Drivers I wanted as per what Hardware the Scan found and any other miscellaneous Drivers I wished to install. So, I figured the remaining CDs were probably also gonna be more of that manual type of installation for probably mostly stuff I wouldn't need. I had been used to the System Restore CDs from my original Gateway computer whereby with those, the installation process was much more automated from beginning to end.

So yeah, I'm gonna install the other CDs right now.
Since I have Dial Up, after lunch, I'm taking the computer over to my sister's house to use her High Speed Internet to install the Windows Updates and to download avast Anti-Virus.

I'll let you know how it went later in the day.
Thanks again for your help, Phill. :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:
Good luck and let us know when you are all up dated.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Update ... Not Good / Status Quo.

The 3 remaining Restore CDs were of no use.
That CD #3 for TOOLS simply had Apps I didn't need like AOL, Paint Shop Pro, McAfee, Norton ... something or other.
The CD #4 for System Recovery CD was for Sonic RecordNow. From what I gathered, it is for Burning CDs, I guess.
The CD #5 for DVD Software Recovery appears to be for being able to play DVDs.

So yeah, none of those 3 CDs had anything that would remotely fix my problem.
And that is that I have never been prompted for the Windows XP Professional Product Key AND that for whatever mysterious reason ...
Activate Windows simply does NOT exist in Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools.

Does it have anything to do with how I'm logged on?
Does it have anything to do with Administrator's Rights or NOT Administrator's Rights?
Why can I see "Activate Windows" so simply in my other computer, my old HP Pavilion with Windows XP Home Edition and NOT on this Dell with Windows XP Professional?
Everything I Google up points me towards the same ole Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools direction, but that doesn't exist in this Dell.

I guess I'll have to send an E-mail to RestoreDisks.com's Customer Service because I am out of ideas.

Edited by Chimiti, 29 January 2012 - 06:49 PM.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Speaking of Administrator's Rights ...
How does that work?
Yesterday and most of today, I was only logged in as Administrator.
That was the only account.
So, this afternoon I decided to create another account because I might lend this computer to my sister for a week or so IF I ever really getting going correctly.
Well, now that new account seems to have taken over and my original Administrator's account has disappeared ... along with the 2 NotePad Docs I had in My Documents.
Now the Log In Screen doesn't come up anymore prompting me for my Administrator's account Password like it used to. What happened?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Speaking of Administrator's Rights ...
How does that work?

Here you go http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

Have you installed all important updates?
Just so you are aware when you update your OS the fact that your product is not activated will be detected and so you should be asked to enter your 25 digit product key.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Well, it's a mixed answer.
And that's what's worrying me more and more by the minute.
Yesterday afternoon I set my Windows Updates to Automatic. A little while after that I did see the familiar yellow Shield down in the System Tray indicating that Updates were being downloaded.

Later that evening the indication was that Updates were ready for install. I clicked to install them and presumably they installed.
I assumed maybe those were the Critical Updates.
This morning the yellow shield was again in the System Tray indicating Updates were downloading.
I eventually turned off the Windows Updates as it would take forever to download them with my Dial Up.
My initial intention was to go to my sister's house and download them with her High Speed Internet, but it is temporarily down.

Nevertheless ... HOW can the supposed Windows Updates be downloading and installing ... when I have yet to at any point be prompted for the 25-character Product Key?

That leads me to my next questions:
IS RestoreDisks.com even legitimate? Or are they bogus?
Anyone know?
I mean ... is what they do even legal?
IS there such a thing as some 3rd party websites being able to sell LEGAL Restore Disks like this?

I Googled this issue regarding RestoreDisks.com and as per the responses I saw, I'm really worried and wondering whether they are Scammers?
Now I don't even want to touch that computer anymore until I get a solid answer regarding RestoreDisks.com's legitimacy status.

After 2 days since I E-mailed them, I still haven't gotten a reply. Not good.

Edited by Chimiti, 31 January 2012 - 04:10 PM.