It is very important to keep key system software and programs updated and current on your computer. Many of the updates provide improved stability, new features, and more importantly better security
. You need to do several updates to fully secure your computerStep 1.Microsoft Updates
Although Automatic Updates can automatically install updates for you, you can also do this manually.
To manually check Windows Update for updates, follow these steps:
, click All Programs
, and then click Microsoft Update
2.In the navigation pane, click Check for updates
3.AfterMicrosoft Update has finished checking for updates, click View available updates
4.Click to select the check boxes
for the updates that you want to install, and then click Install.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.
Repeat these steps until all critical and important updates are installed.This will include an update of internet explorer to 9.
Internet explorer is part of your Vista operating system and it is critical to your security to have the latest version installed.Then go to method 1 and set up for automatic updates
.Step 2.Update Java
Please download JavaRa
to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder Run JavaRa.exe
, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions
Accept any prompts. Open JavaRa.exe
again and select Search For Updates.
Select Update Using Sun Java's Website
then click Search and click on the Open Webpage
button. Download and install
the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.Step 3.Update adobe flash player
We need to uninstall the existing flash player(s). Please go hereFollow steps 1. to 4.
Once flash player is uninstalled go on to the next paragraph.
You will need to download and install both the IE and non-IE
versions of Adobe Flashplayer. Make sure to uncheck the install of the McAfee tool before downloading. You will need to select your operating system (Vista 32-bit) and then each version to download and install separately.Step 4.
Subject to no further problems
I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems
Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean
We need to implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:Remove ComboFix
- Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard. This will display the Run dialogue box
- In the Run box, type in ComboFix /Uninstall (Notice the space between the "x" and "/") then click OK
- Follow the prompts on the screen
- A message should appear confirming that ComboFix was uninstalled
Run OTL and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself.
We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
SPRING CLEANTo manually create a new Restore Point
- Click Start.
- Open My Computer.
- Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
- Select the View Tab.
- Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
- Click Yes to confirm.
- Click OK.
Now we can purge the infected ones
- Go to Control Panel and select System
- Select System
- On the left select System Protection and accept the warning if you get one
- Select System Protection Tab
- Select Create at the bottom
- Type in a name i.e. Clean
- Select Create
- GoStart > All programs > Accessories > system tools
- Right click Disc cleanup and select run as administrator
- Select Your main drive and accept the warning if you get one
- For a few moments the system will make some calculations
- Select the More Options tab
- In the System Restore and Shadow Backups select Clean up
- Select Delete on the pop up
- Select OK
- Select Delete
Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes: Malwarebytes
. Update and run weekly to keep your system clean
Download and install FileHippo update checker
and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link
It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.
To keep your operating system up to date visit
To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?